Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good Samaritian
The Good Samaritian
There was a discussion I had about the Good samaritian with one of you and I miss spoke when I said a neighbor is anyone in close proxcimity to you. Upon closer review of the message Jesus taught found in Luke 10, A neighbor is anyone willing to do you a kindness, no matter who it is if he knows you or not whether you are friends or not.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV

Say for instance if you go to your friends house in the middle of the night and you ask him for a loaf of bread and he says no, but you keep asking and keep seeking, and keep knocking on his door till he gives you bread, your 'bad friend' can still be considered a neighbor according to the parable Jesus taught.

But for the sake of progressing any arguement I am willing to conceed the use of the word neighbor when the bible states the word friend.
RE: The Good Samaritian
(October 16, 2013 at 8:58 am)Drich Wrote: Say for instance if you go to your friends house in the middle of the night and you ask him for a loaf of bread and he says no, but you keep asking and keep seeking, and keep knocking on his door till he gives you bread, your 'bad friend' can still be considered a neighbor according to the parable Jesus taught.

In all seriousness, if you actually went to your friends house in the middle of the night, banging on his door until he gave you bread, wouldn't that make you an asshole? And since the friend probably only gives you the bread to shut you up and get you away from his front door, is it really that good of a gesture after all?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

In 'Murica this sort of behaviour will get you shot....is my thinking
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(October 16, 2013 at 9:16 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: In 'Murica this sort of behaviour will get you shot....is my thinking

Fact. Or in my case, a Yorkie-Poo gets unleashed with extreme prejudice.
Or at the very least, showing up at someone's house in the middle of the night begging for bread will lead them to call the cops. Why would you need bread at 3AM? What are you, some kind of late night stoner?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
The real question concerns why humans in 2013 have the idiotic notion they need to reference texts by ancient cult followers concerning their possibly imaginary, one of many, dying-rising god figures, and failed apocalyptic wandering preacher-miracle workers, (like all the others), in formulating their ethical systems in 2013. This sort of "nit-picking" concerning their non-unanimously voted canon's contents, is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Who gives a shit ?
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
Mystified!!

The Good Samaritan Story was used to answer the question: "Who is my neighbour?" This was in the context of "Love your neighbour as yourself."

According to this interpretation you are instructed to love those that will do you a good turn.

That is a hugely disappointing interpretation.

Surely there has to be something in it along the lines of "Be a good neighbour?"

Jesus disappoints, again.
(October 16, 2013 at 9:32 am)max-greece Wrote: According to this interpretation you are instructed to love those that will do you a good turn.

That is a hugely disappointing interpretation.

I have to disagree to an extent. Though I find it a bit hypocritical too (though Drich can probably shed some light on the Christian point of view, if neighbourly love should be unconditional), I immediately think of Deidre's forgiveness thread. You can only be that forgiving and nice to someone, who constantly drains you of your resources without giving anything back. It's not like you have to keep a tally and the giving/receiving has to add up, but a too one sided relationship is taxing.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hehe

Then you shoot them? Disembowelment, blood and swash and all that?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(October 16, 2013 at 9:41 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Hehe

Then you shoot them? Disembowelment, blood and swash and all that?

Nah, stabbing is more the Finnish MO Wink