Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:07 am

Poll: What is the better definition of the word atheist
This poll is closed.
A person that lacks belief in god(s)
97.44%
38 97.44%
a person who denies the existence of a supreme being
2.56%
1 2.56%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The definetion of atheism
The definetion of atheism
Since some users on here seem to have a hardon for a alternate definition of this word, I am going to repeat as I have heard every atheist I have encountered use it

Atheism- The lack of belief in god or gods
Atheist- A person that lacks belief in god or gods

If you are a atheist who disagrees with this, then please elaborate.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: The definetion of atheism
I just hate that schizophrenic fuck, Jesus. The devil's ok in my book.(I voted for him twice now.)
I doubted the existence of this thread until it was created, and look where that got me.
That just blew my mind freedom. FSM Wink
Actually, instead of using the word "lack," which implies that something is missing, I prefer "a person without beliefs in a god or gods."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
It's actually both... but not at the same time and on the same person.
And most atheists associate with one or the other definition.
I'm also an apatheist. I don't have any belief, and I also don't care if any of the gods available are real. What if they're ALL real? Who wins in a Jehovah vs Allah battle?
(October 17, 2013 at 12:09 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Since some users on here seem to have a hardon for a alternate definition of this word, I am going to repeat as I have heard every atheist I have encountered use it

Atheism- The lack of belief in god or gods
Atheist- A person that lacks belief in god or gods

If you are a atheist who disagrees with this, then please elaborate.

I view atheism in its simplest form: a disbelief of the claims made by theists regarding deities. In the absence of a claim being made about the existence of a god, there is nothing to lack belief "in".
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
I don't regard it as a "lack" of anything. Rather, I see it as the failure of theists to demonstrate that their bullshit is true.
(October 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't regard it as a "lack" of anything. Rather, I see it as the failure of theists to demonstrate that their bullshit is true.

That's what I say. If we call it a "lack" of God belief, the theists will see it as "lack of God" and will hound us to "fill that hole in your hearts."

I don't lack God any more than I lack dysentery.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27093 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12463 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12135 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10472 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38063 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack