Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am an Agnostic Theist
I am an Agnostic Theist
I am an Agnostic Theist, which I believe means that I am unsure about the existence, or non-existence of a God. I was raised going to church through grade school, middle school, and high-school, but I was a smart kid and started thinking more independently. I have lately been thinking about 'creation', as well as Christian and Atheist creation arguments.
Atheists bring up the argument of the Big Bang, and how everything created, including time, space, the third dimension, and the law of cause and effect. But it brings up the question of what 'caused' the Big Bang? Upon further thinking, I thought that before the universe, and before the law of cause and effect, the Big Bang didn't have to have a cause, which ties in with the Christian arguments.
Christians claim that God made everything, and it assumes that God could have been the cause of the Big Bang. If God was before the law of cause and effect, then it makes perfect sense that a God could have been the cause of the Big Bang. But...
Because the Big Bang didn't have to have a cause, literally NOTHING could have been the cause of the universe. Just the POSSIBILITY of the universe being able to exist, made it exist.
So this leaves me in an awkward state of mind.
There has to be a God, because something had to create the universe.
or
There doesn't have to be a God, because NOTHING could have created the universe!
I just wanted some input, because maybe there is something that I am missing from this whole idea. If you could please let me know your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.
RE: I am an Agnostic Theist
Try saying this: "Science doesn't know yet. They are working on it. However, the idea that some invisible sky-daddy poofed everything into existence is just plain stupid and can be safely dismissed."
God-of-the-gaps; a fallacy that will always find its place no matter how far science has come.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
A little clarification: atheists don't usually bring up the argument of the Big Bang, except as a counter to the theists' asserion that their god did it. Also, the originator of the model which came to be christened the Big Bang Theory, Georges Lemaître, was a Catholic priest as well as an astronomer and professor of physics.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 17, 2013 at 8:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Try saying this: "Science doesn't know yet. They are working on it. However, the idea that some invisible sky-daddy poofed everything into existence is just plain stupid and can be safely dismissed."

Yes, but the problem I am having trouble getting over is, it is possible that a Sky-Daddy did in fact make everything, because there were no rules before everything.
Even if that were true, it in no way makes a sky daddy even remotely possible.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
:Welcome:

The big bang isn't the only theory on how our universe came about. For instance, the one eyed one nosed flying purple hippo daddy could've made everything.

Until I find proof for that, I'm not going to believe in it either.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(October 17, 2013 at 8:35 pm)Flair128512 Wrote: I am an Agnostic Theist, which I believe means that I am unsure about the existence, or non-existence of a God. I was raised going to church through grade school, middle school, and high-school, but I was a smart kid and started thinking more independently. I have lately been thinking about 'creation', as well as Christian and Atheist creation arguments.
Atheists bring up the argument of the Big Bang, and how everything created, including time, space, the third dimension, and the law of cause and effect. But it brings up the question of what 'caused' the Big Bang? Upon further thinking, I thought that before the universe, and before the law of cause and effect, the Big Bang didn't have to have a cause, which ties in with the Christian arguments.
Christians claim that God made everything, and it assumes that God could have been the cause of the Big Bang. If God was before the law of cause and effect, then it makes perfect sense that a God could have been the cause of the Big Bang. But...
Because the Big Bang didn't have to have a cause, literally NOTHING could have been the cause of the universe. Just the POSSIBILITY of the universe being able to exist, made it exist.
So this leaves me in an awkward state of mind.
There has to be a God, because something had to create the universe.
or
There doesn't have to be a God, because NOTHING could have created the universe!
I just wanted some input, because maybe there is something that I am missing from this whole idea. If you could please let me know your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you not see the self-defeating proposition in your own arguments?

You talk about events like the universe being "created", "begin to exist", "before the Big Bang" while having already stated that there is no spatio-temporal context without the universe. All these phrases are nonsensical without it. These phrases are used to describe "events" - which occur within a temporal context.

Given that the laws of cause and effect work within the boundaries of space-time, which are within the universe, the terms like "before Big Bang", "cause of big bang", "creation of universe" are as meaningless as "edge of a sphere" or "corner of a circle" or "north of north pole".
I feel like you're going about this the "scientific way", which is to say, trying to see if god lines up with our current knowledge of science.

While an honest approach and much more practical than a philosophical approach, it's deeply flawed. You have to understand that what you're doing is the "god of the gaps" exercise, filling in god when we do not yet know. Like you said, the big bang doesn't have a cause, the laws of the universe at that point are not what they are now, so we literally do not know what the hell happened, and we can't even use the past tense because time didn't exist.

What we do know is that the bible makes no mention of evolution. The bible claims there was a global flood. The bible claims Noah got all the animals into an ark during that flood and survived. So god no longer lines up with our current knowledge of science. You can reject the christian god now.
(October 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Flair128512 Wrote:
(October 17, 2013 at 8:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Try saying this: "Science doesn't know yet. They are working on it. However, the idea that some invisible sky-daddy poofed everything into existence is just plain stupid and can be safely dismissed."

Yes, but the problem I am having trouble getting over is, it is possible that a Sky-Daddy did in fact make everything, because there were no rules before everything.

Start thinking in terms of probabilities not "possibilities."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 435 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1942 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1929 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11810 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 146109 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9199 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12565 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1096 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5514 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1354 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene