Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Theists/Atheists
Question for Theists/Atheists
So I am a Christian, but I rarely will say I am a Christian in public (only reason I do so here is because I feel it would have been dishonest not to be upfront about it) and will hold off on saying that I don't do something because of religious reasons until I absolutely have to do so?

So the question is this....theists, do you think it is dishonest and un-religious for a believer to not say they believe to everyone they meet or to make a show of their religious beliefs?

Atheists. Would you prefer a believer be upfront that they believe or would you rather not care if they believe in religion or not?

(October 20, 2013 at 1:15 am)Polaris Wrote: So I am a Christian, but I rarely will say I am a Christian in public (only reason I do so here is because I feel it would have been dishonest not to be upfront about it) and will hold off on saying that I don't do something because of religious reasons until I absolutely have to do so.

So the question is this....theists, do you think it is dishonest and un-religious for a believer to not say they believe to everyone they meet or to make a show of their religious beliefs?

Atheists. Would you prefer a believer be upfront that they believe or would you rather not care if they believe in religion or not?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
RE: Question for Theists/Atheists
It's usually fairly easy to detect.
I keep it to myself, and would prefer that others did the same unless there's a legitimate reason to bring it up.
(October 20, 2013 at 1:16 am)Minimalist Wrote: It's usually fairly easy to detect.

Maybe where you live....
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I don't see why you would start off every interaction stating you were a Christian. What would that serve? If asked or it were pertinent, then sure, bjt otherwise it's just asshole-y.

"Hello. I'm a Christian!111 etc. etc. etc." Wink
It's preferable that people keep it to themselves, because where I live people only bring up religion when they either want to engage in a religious circle jerk or a bible beating.

As I've said in other threads I myself only bring up my thoughts on the matter when challenged or through discussion with friends.
how, pray tell Min, do you detect Christians from atheists? I rather think its difficult. For instance most people assume I'm god fearing because sometimes I dress nicely yet conservatively. And I have a sweet face and I'm polite, empathetic, my voice is soft spoken, and I smile a lot..
Sometimes I feel like I'm the one misleading people..But I'm just being me. It sometimes pops into my head when I'm in public though, like thinking howmany of these Christians would die for me if put in a life or death situation? I already know without question I wouldn't hesitate to help them..And how many of them cheat and swindle and lie and are generally less moral than I? When I look all I see is humanity.
To answer the OPs question, I really don't care whose Christian and whose not. People are people, I judge their character by their actions and intent, not their beliefs.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(October 20, 2013 at 1:29 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I don't see why you would start off every interaction stating you were a Christian. What would that serve? If asked or it were pertinent, then sure, bjt otherwise it's just asshole-y.

"Hello. I'm a Christian!111 etc. etc. etc." Wink

I had a Christian co-worker ask if I was a Christian one day and then had a 30-minute conversation about it when I revealed I was...I wonder what would have happened had I said no though.

He did not like it when he found out I believed the earth was older than 6,000 (plus how many years it was since that calculation was made) years old or that I listen to a woman pastor.
Keep your bull shit to yourself. Nobody wants to hear about your imaginary friend, how much he loves you and how much he hates everyone else.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(October 20, 2013 at 1:42 am)Cinjin Wrote: Keep your bull shit to yourself. Nobody wants to hear about your imaginary friend, how much he loves you and how much he hates everyone else.

Uh...Jesus hates?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6695 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to theists purplepurpose 172 26611 June 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 21005 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  Question to atheists about some unexplained concepts arda101 24 2606 January 24, 2017 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Battle Thread (Atheists vs. Theists) ScienceAf 32 5627 August 19, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Are humans more insignificant to Atheists or Theists? ReptilianPeon 6 2041 December 11, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question for Theists: The Proble with Thanking God Rhondazvous 43 9034 October 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4889 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Quick question to theists dyresand 26 4896 April 6, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4932 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris