Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reflecting on Atheism.
Reflecting on Atheism.
Here is an interesting quote from philosopher John Gray from his book Straw Dogs:

"To Deny the existence of God is to accept the categories [framework] of monotheism. As these categories fall into disuse, unbelief becomes uninteresting. Atheists say they want a secular world, but a world defined by the absence of the Christian God is still a Christian world. Secularism is like chastity, a condition defined by what it denies. If atheism has a future, it can only be in a Christian world.

Atheism is a late bloom of a Christian passion for truth. No Pagan is ready to sacrifice the pleasure of life for the sake of mere truth. The long delayed consequence of Christian faith was an idolatry of truth that found its most complete expression in Atheism."

Hi guys. I just joined this forum. I thought this quote was fascinating and would be interesting to reflect upon and discuss about.
RE: Reflecting on Atheism.
This is why I despise philosophers. Pointless rambling about inconsequential nonsense.

Welcome.
(October 20, 2013 at 10:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This is why I despise philosophers. Pointless rambling about inconsequential nonsense.

Welcome.

thanks for the welcome minimalist. Smile
(October 20, 2013 at 8:52 pm)arvind13 Wrote: Here is an interesting quote from philosopher John Gray from his book Straw Dogs:

"To Deny the existence of God is to accept the categories [framework] of monotheism. As these categories fall into disuse, unbelief becomes uninteresting. Atheists say they want a secular world, but a world defined by the absence of the Christian God is still a Christian world. Secularism is like chastity, a condition defined by what it denies. If atheism has a future, it can only be in a Christian world.

Atheism is a late bloom of a Christian passion for truth. No Pagan is ready to sacrifice the pleasure of life for the sake of mere truth. The long delayed consequence of Christian faith was an idolatry of truth that found its most complete expression in Atheism."

Sounds rather far fetched.
Hmm well you see what John Gray doesn't seem to realise is that Atheists do not give christianity any more or less merit than we do to any of the other countless religions out there; to us they are equally ridiculous and by his logic, we are living in a world defined by all the thousands of gods people have thought up, which is not exactly breaking news. Religion and spirituality plays an integral part in cultures all over the world, which atheists acknowledge.
Atheism isn't a crusade to rid the world of religion, as Mr.Gray seems to think. It is simply the lack of a belief in deity(s) and the supernatural. That is all it is.
(October 20, 2013 at 8:52 pm)Asshat John Gray Wrote: Atheists say they want a secular world, but a world defined by the absence of the Christian God is still a Christian world.

Secularism is like chastity, a condition defined by what it denies. If atheism has a future, it can only be in a Christian world.

Two assertions that the author knows he will never have to prove.

Drivel. Just drivel.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Absolutely ridiculous.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(October 20, 2013 at 10:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This is why I despise philosophers. Pointless rambling about inconsequential nonsense.

Welcome.

I hate philosophy for the same reason.
Based on those quotes, I'd suggest the book be renamed Straw Men.

It appears to assume that atheism is just a knee jerk reaction to christianity, which kind of misses the point. Maybe for some people it is, but in cases I'd imagine there's a good chance that they'll end up following another faith rather than remaining atheist.

It also appears to assume that paganism (and all of it, no less) is simply a means of self gratification.
(October 20, 2013 at 8:52 pm)arvind13 Wrote: Here is an interesting quote from philosopher John Gray from his book Straw Dogs:

"To Deny the existence of Allah is to accept the categories [framework] of monotheism. As these categories fall into disuse, unbelief becomes uninteresting. Atheists say they want a secular world, but a world defined by the absence of the Islamic God is still an Islamic world. Secularism is like chastity, a condition defined by what it denies. If atheism has a future, it can only be in a Islamic world.

etc.

Fixt!

Thumb up
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27117 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12472 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12150 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38080 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack