Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.J. Gives Up Legal Fight Against Gay Marriage
N.J. Gives Up Legal Fight Against Gay Marriage
and Christie has apparently given up any hope of getting the republicunt nomination.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2013102...NICG1.html

Quote: TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Gov. Chris Christie dropped his legal challenge to same-sex marriages on Monday, removing the possibility that the vows of couples who began getting married hours earlier could be undone by a court.

New Jersey became the 14th state to allow gay marriages Monday, three days after the state Supreme Court unanimously rejected Christie's request to delay the start of the nuptials. He has said residents, not a court or legislators, should decide on the issue.

"Although the governor strongly disagrees with the court substituting its judgment for the constitutional process of the elected branches or a vote of the people, the court has now spoken clearly as to their view of the New Jersey Constitution and, therefore, same-sex marriage is the law," Christie's spokesman Michael Drewniak said in a statement. "The governor will do his constitutional duty and ensure his administration enforces the law as dictated by the New Jersey Supreme Court."
RE: N.J. Gives Up Legal Fight Against Gay Marriage
14 down, 36 to go.
Is it me or does Christie's mouthpiece sound a bit passive-aggressive?
Christie's a reasonable guy. He only put up a fight because he had to to stay in the good graces of his party. Now he sees a way to do the right thing and hopefully not get too much flak for it.
Ut-oh. Chris Christie. RINO.
Yeah he's still gonna have a good shot at getting the nomination. I think it will be him and Ted Cruz fighting it out till the end. I would say Paul Ryan, but I don't think he'll make a run till 2020.
It's a little deeper than that, Ryan.

The Supreme Court refused to hear the Prop 8 appeal from California. The Appellate court had upheld the ruling of the trial judge who held that fundamental rights cannot be voted out in a referendum and cited West Virginia State Board of Education v Barnette as precedent, among others.

So, for example, Alabama is one of the benighted 36. Their constitutional ban would not pass muster any more than a constitutional ban on blacks voting would...and I'm sure the redneck assholes would have tried that if they thought they could get away with it.

What happened in the Supreme Court case is that by refusing to hear it and simply declaring that the appellants lacked "standing" to bring the case forward the Justices left the ruling intact for California but did not have to address those other 36.

The legal principle that the majority does not get to "vote" away the rights of a minority is still out there. It is only a matter of time.
Quote: He has said residents, not a court or legislators, should decide on the issue.

No, people's rights don't get to be voted on by the voters. That's what gives rise to the saying that democracy is defined as two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Although I don't agree with him on a few issues, I have to admit I like Chris Christie. The dude is a badass, and he gets shit done. Probably one of the best governors the tri-state area has seen in decades.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Lets remember that the people that keep us from progressing now are the same people that kept us from progressing in the Dark Ages.

[Image: Evolution.png]

Remember when women couldn't vote?
- when children were caned in schools?
- when black people were slaves?
- when women were drowned for being witches?
It goes on an on. Eventually, some day way down the road, we will be rid of the christards and the world will be free to love and live as we should ... with homosexuals enjoying the same civil rights that you do.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1152 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 525 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 281 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1543 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1544 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 5723 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3300 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Farm Bill Food Fight The Grand Nudger 20 3612 May 15, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Bringing A Knife To A Gun Fight Minimalist 23 1849 November 4, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The WLB loses Another Court Fight Minimalist 0 583 May 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist