Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can a god, that apparently loves everyone, allow this kind of thing to happen?
How can a god, that apparently loves everyone, allow this kind of thing to happen?
Butterfly children, here is a link in case you don't know what this disease is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermolys...ystrophica

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/2...34x593.jpg

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/med...1345748568

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...bxAzXdONzX

Not entirely sure if all of those are butterfly children, but you get the idea.

Surely a god that loves everyone (which has been claimed by certain christians on this forum) would not let this happen

Unless they somehow deserve it? What could those children have done to deserve such suffering I wonder.....
But this is a genetic disease, they can't have done anything to deserve this.... right?

Answers please, i'm fed up with people dancing and dodging around this question
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
RE: How can a god, that apparently loves everyone, allow this kind of thing to happen?
That's only one of scores of absolutely horrific genetic diseases that cause small children to suffer terribly before they die a very early death. And guess what? The religious crowd is usually against the technologies that could eventually cure these children, because it's "playing god." They're also against aborting fetuses whose only fate is to suffer agonies before they die. Way to go!
RE: How can a god, that apparently loves everyone, allow this kind of thing to happen?
It's basically an unfortunate effect of a universe intentionally created with the aim to produce specifically organic life that was organically evolved over time. The universe is physically ordered system that God set in motion and once set it's set. God interacts with his creation through his creatures. Miracles such as healing power are very rare supernatural interactions and confined to exceptional individuals such as the Jewish prophets, Jesus Christ and perhaps some Saints and holy men/women. There will be some kind of limit to what they're capable of being able to do based on their limitations as physical humans.

The question is why God created a universe with the aim to create organic beings and I think will have something to do with freewill. In this arena you can be Florence Nightingale or an SS officer.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
Fancy that, you can cure something you can't see (like cancer) with prayer, but you can't heal amputees. I wonder why....

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(October 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm)Rationalman Wrote: Fancy that, you can cure something you can't see (like cancer) with prayer, but you can't heal amputees. I wonder why....
This is a serious issue. I know a woman who recently had a relatively late abortion because the fetus had an early fatal genetic disease. This was a very wanted pregnancy, and she was devastated. Of course, she had to put up with a bunch of screaming deranged lunatics in front of the clinic screaming at her and calling her a murderer. People kept telling her to "pray for the baby," like she could pray that disease away. That whole "pray for a miracle" thing is so fucking awful and hurtful.
It is surprising how hurtful some ignorant people can be

Answers?

It is Obvious - Religions and gods are HUMAN creations - and reality proves that to be true.

One can point out LOTS of things that don't make sense about religion

For example - according to the bible - a man is not responsible for the sins of his father - and the father is not responsible for the sins of the son.

Which creates TWO major problems for Xtianity.

The whole story of the christ depends on the story of Adam and Eve and that of Original sin to be true. Without both - there is no reason for the christ to even come. The sin was EVE's - according to Timothy - so why are we blamed and must repent it? THE bible says clearly that we are not responsible for the sins of others. AND of course - the fairy tale of Adam and Eve is fiction.

Second - why are babies born with Maladies like Aides and Mental Deficiencies - missing limbs - sometime both types of sex organs - etc. THere is nothing they could have done themselves to deserve to be punished so. ANd there is nothing loving or equal about that either. Xtians like to say that their parents did something wrong - but a child is NOT responsible for its parents sins - says so right in the bible.

However - if YOU even attempt to believe that the ONE GOD of the bible - loves everyone - READ THE ACTUAL BIBLE - start with page one and read if from front to back. YOU will not believe what is actually in the bible unless you read it yourself - I would never be believed by someone trying to believe in a god.

THe acts of the god in the bible are horrendous

Example - What did the average Egyptian first born male do to deserve to die in the Passover? NOTHING !!! According to the story - it was the Pharaoh that the god had problems with. Why kill innocent people.

In every population - a percentage of the population consists of babies and children TOO YOUNG to understand what sin is - and have not reached the age of reason and responsibility. IN ancient times - since people lived shorter lives plus children more often died young - the percentage of children under age 7 (THE catholic church age of reason) - would have been about 20% of the population. ALL of them innocents.

Where were these INNOCENT children saved in the great flood - where were they saved in Sodom and Gomorrah? And the Passover?

THe god of the bible is not of love - he would be a mass murderer - if he were real.
I kind of addressed the question to theists but thanks for your input anyway ThomM

(October 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: It's basically an unfortunate effect of a universe intentionally created with the aim to produce specifically organic life that was organically evolved over time. The universe is physically ordered system that God set in motion and once set it's set. God interacts with his creation through his creatures. Miracles such as healing power are very rare supernatural interactions and confined to exceptional individuals such as the Jewish prophets, Jesus Christ and perhaps some Saints and holy men/women. There will be some kind of limit to what they're capable of being able to do based on their limitations as physical humans.

The question is why God created a universe with the aim to create organic beings and I think will have something to do with freewill. In this arena you can be Florence Nightingale or an SS officer.

What an impotent god you worship.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm)Rationalman Wrote: Butterfly children, here is a link in case you don't know what this disease is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermolys...ystrophica

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/2...34x593.jpg

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/med...1345748568

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...bxAzXdONzX

Not entirely sure if all of those are butterfly children, but you get the idea.

Surely a god that loves everyone (which has been claimed by certain christians on this forum) would not let this happen

Unless they somehow deserve it? What could those children have done to deserve such suffering I wonder.....
But this is a genetic disease, they can't have done anything to deserve this.... right?

Answers please, i'm fed up with people dancing and dodging around this question

The anwser is that you appear to want a skydaddy babysitter... Undecided
Life is not fair, just deal with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2275 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Have you got some kind of Christian backgound? Dundee 25 3545 April 15, 2020 at 9:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1655 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2609 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5579 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65183 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Apparently The Fucking Baptists Have A Problem Minimalist 19 6593 June 25, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Virgin Births happen all the time?! Jehanne 11 2720 December 20, 2016 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11123 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  So is crucifiction a bad or a good thing? Longhorn 75 22058 December 17, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman