Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some more evidence against the Jesus myth
Some more evidence against the Jesus myth
I've been doing some reading (I am constantly strengthening my lack of faith) and some amazing things have come up that I thought I would share here. I won't swear by the book I'm reading, but it has yet to sound biased and simple-minded in any way.

Let's start by reinforcing my argument against the virgin birth, which I already fought against in another thread.

1A) Jesus was supposed to be a "Nazarene" which means he was from Nazareth, right? Well, archaeological discovery shows that "Nazara" did not exist in the beginning of the 1st century A.D. A few Jews may have lived in the area, but it did not become a town until Jews fled from Jerusalem in 69 A.D.

1B) Bethlehem was also not a town in Judea. Bethlehem exists there now, but the original Bethlehem was a small town in Galilee in the time of Jesus. Why the original was abandoned is unknown, but there is evidence that the original town was not in Judea.

1AB) How do these two facts link together? Well, let's say that Nazareth somehow existed. Well, if both Nazareth (Mary's home town) and Bethlehem (Joseph's home town) were in Galilee, they were out of Herod's jurisdiction, and so a census and slaughter of babies is even more of an impossibility. It does make a trip from Nazareth to Bethlehem less of a trek for Mary and Joseph, but ultimately a pointless one.

2A) Simon the Zealot was a disciple of Jesus. Josephus says that Zealots existed in 6 A.D. As much as I appreciate Josephus' writings, it is obvious that some of it was influenced (or interpolated) by Christian ideas. It is arguable to point out that Zealots did not really come to into existence until around 66 A.D., well after the time of Jesus.

2B) People in the Gospels (especially the lastly written Gospel of John) call Jesus "rabbi" or "rabboni" at least 12 times (Mary Magdalene does it, for example). The term "rabbi" was not used in the early 1st century until around 40 A.D.

2AB) What can we conclude from this evidence? Well, obviously that the people (whoever they really were) that wrote the Gospels (in Greek) were just using terms that were common in their era to refer to people (especially Jesus) in the Gospels. Something smells fishy.

A couple other tidbits:

In Mark 5:1-13 Jesus is in the country of the Gadarenes. He sends a bunch of demon-possessed pigs into the sea. However, the writer of the Gospel of Mark didn't know his ancient geography. Gadarenes was nowhere near the ocean. The pigs would have had to run for 2 and a half hours to reach it. In Matthew 8:28-32, the country is changed to that of the Gergesenes, which is closer, but still 5 miles from the ocean. That was a helluva run for the possessed piggies! Now, granted, the Gospels don't mention how far the run was, just a "steep place," but come on, how would the people of the area have been shocked by what happened if the pigs were 5 miles away when they died? It just doesn't make sense.

The New Testament establishes that Peter and Paul spent some time together. Now, Paul never says that he learned anything from the apostles, just scripture and revelations. He makes no mention of the virgin birth, Jesus performing miracles or the empty tomb. Don't you think that someone that learned the ways of Christianity from Peter, Jesus' number one guy, would have learned something about the life of Jesus from him? People like to say that telling the life of Jesus was not Paul's intentions, but c'mon! If you knew the life story of the son of God, wouldn't you have said more than just a couple things?

As I said before, I won't swear by these ideas, but they do make strong points. There is much more to be read, and I'm excited to do it!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Christ-Enigma-...ist+enigma
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
RE: Some more evidence against the Jesus myth
Um...no.

There is a reference in the Amarna letters to Bethlehem. Further, when they finally got around to writing this shit down Bethlehem in Judah was made the home town of "David."

While it is true that there is no "Nazareth" mentioned in any text prior to the mid 3d century the archaeological evidence uncovered by the Franciscan priest, Bellarmino Bagatti, showed that significant settlement in the area ended during the Assyrian assault c 720 BC. Finds after that are extremely problematic and not indicative of a settlement. The noted xtain scholar, Stephen Pfann, found a family farm which is not so surprising as the main metropolis in the area, Sepphoris, a few miles away, would have been an obvious draw for farmers to bring their produce to market.
Yeah, I knew about the farmhouse and Sepphoris, and the Bethlehem idea is a little weak, but I don't think it's ridiculous (not that you used that term).

I think you have to remember that the OT stories are just as far-fetched (if not more) than the NT. The OT has terms and ideas in it that come from the 2nd or 3rd century BC. A great deal of it is nowhere near as old as it says it is. The story and even existence of David can be debated, although I'd have to read back a ways to do that, and seeing the lack of interest in this thread, it's not worth the effort.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Oh, the OT is total bullshit. No question about that. The problem with xtians who understand that is that they can't quite connect the dots about its ultimate meaning.

A story was concocted for them based on the OT. If the OT is a pile of shit so is the NT. You can't build a house on a foundation of sand.
The Hebrew Bible/OT is a bigger problem for Abrahamic theists than the New Testament. While the NT has some known interpolations and at least one falsely attributed Pauline, a literalist reading of the OT brings forth a plethora of ahistorical nonsense, either in supposed size or actually occurring at all. Ignoring the more ridiculous supernatural nonsense, the account of the exodus of the Israelites is particularly lulzy from a historical standpoint.

As for Jesus, he seems to be essentially unknowable in any useful sense, aside from being an crucified Jew from Galilee.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4622 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13636 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8872 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37876 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 28213 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20265 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6026 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 239022 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 133884 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3077 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus