Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one thing i don't understand bout god/christianity
one thing i don't understand bout god/christianity
i have mental illness and suffer from sever depression and im 24 and became christian at 16 and always was told god helps, heals, etc....

but over the years things have just gotten worse and worse, and i'm at the point where i feel like, even if "god is with me, loves me and is watching over me" ....does he actually do anything to help?

i see so many verses and "motivational pictures" thrown at me talking bout how he feels my suffering, sees my tears etc...but how does any of this affect me and my problems?

i talked to a pastor and he said that "god doesnt directly intervene in our lives because we have free will....but he loves us more than we can ever imagine and only wants the best for us"......wtf?
RE: one thing i don't understand bout god/christianity
Your pastor has lots of excuses. They all do. You want answers? You will NEVER find them in the Bible. Start reading anything other than a book written by frightened uneducated primitives turned self-proclaimed prophets.

Many of us were once devout Christians. I was too. The greatest thing I ever did for my own life was get rid of that horrible religion.
[Image: Evolution.png]

The fact that the Bible is chock-full of overt threats against nonbelief just proves that the inventors of the tale understood that the belief could never survive purely on its own merits.
Quote:i talked to a pastor and he said that "god doesnt directly intervene in our lives because we have free will....but he loves us more than we can ever imagine and only wants the best for us"......wtf?

Your pastor is full of shit....like all of these holy joes.
It is easy to rely on something that claims to have all the answers and hard when you discover it does not. Reach out to humans, like you are here. Seek out people who will try to understand you and offer you human kindness untainted with dogmatic requirements. Join a humanist group, take a philosophy class, or just talk to people here. Love and compassion are human virtues, look for them among your peers.
Mxwll
Examples of things that God can do which would impinge on our free will:
  • Direct intervention in our lives
Examples of thing that God can do which would not impinge on our free will :
  • Kill people
  • Kill lots of people (i.e. genocide)
  • Destroy cities
  • Flood the entire planet
  • Throw rocks around
  • Set fire to plant life
  • Have a wrestling match with humans
  • Inflict plagues upon entire nations
  • Impregnate virgins
  • Talk to people
  • Part the red sea
  • Draw self portraits on toast
(October 31, 2013 at 6:19 am)Optimistic Mysanthrope Wrote:

Yup, this has to be the biggest contradiction in christianity as it trashes everything that god has ever 'done', the power of prayer, claims to omnipotence... if god is 'non-interventionist', he is a useless god.
Sum ergo sum
(October 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm)leodeo Wrote: "god doesnt directly intervene in our lives because we have free will....but he loves us more than we can ever imagine and only wants the best for us"

It's called a:

[Image: cop_out_wallpaper_06.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Actually, god does impinge on free will. Optimistic gave several examples that do: genocide, city purges, the flood, egyptian plagues, all resulted in the deaths of children whom never grew beyond the age of accountability. This means these persons never the option to experience choice of will in either profession of faith, or denial of fiath. And if that's not good enough? The fall, Christ and the end times are all orchestrated by god since the very beginning. He purposely created Lucifer knowing he'd rebel, her purposely placed the tree of knowledge of good and evil knowing it would lead to the first sin, he purposely let mankind fall so that he could send his son to be murdered as a martyr and he is purposely letting the antichrist come so that he can create the Tribulations of the End Times. Still want more? Fine.
Did you know that the plagues of Egypt would have never happened if god did not intervene with free will? That's right, the douche "hardened pharaohs heart" making Ramses choose to NOT let the Hebrews go. Prior to this intervention, the man was quite convinced by the first Miracles to let them go but bloop, god apperently plays our lives like a SIM City fetish and adorns us with cataclysms because its fun I guess, no matter what we decide.

He does nothing to help if he exists or not. Your fate is sealed if he does as he will just choose your life for you, and if he doesn't exist? Well then atleast you have more freedom than what was shown in the old testament.
"He who so forgets history is doomed to repeat it." - Churchill
great posts!

this is the christian crap that pisses me off the most

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/confessions.asp

ben stein, billy graham and his daughter all basically saying the reason we are having so many problems like terrorism, hurricane katrina and etc is because we kicked god out of schools and government so he removed his blessings from over us :|

this was shared on facebook and hundreds of people were like "omg thats so tru, i couldnt have said it better myself!!!"

and i just got so mad i threw my tablet across the room, but im thankful for this forum because u guys seem to be the only ones that see christianity to be a lot of BS like i do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 240 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 817 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1760 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1304 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2618 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 13575 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3584 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21642 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27369 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse JackRussell 27 7030 July 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok