Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
Theists (all franchises) are often asked to prove that their god(s) exist. Non-theists (all franchises) are often asked to disprove the existence of god(s). Proofs of this sort seem to fall into two broad categories - evidentiary and logical. My contention is that exercises of this kind are about as useful as a fart in a spacesuit.

Gods, by their very nature, are not particularly subject to proof or disproof in any meaningful sense. A sufficiently subtle deity isn't going to provide direct evidence of its existence. Logical constructs (for and against) seem to always start with or to contain premises which are arguable enough to render the entire construct suspect, if not invalid.

A much handier way to evaluate whether gods exist has sometimes been called 'The Reasonableness of Belief'. Hume's argument regarding miracles (which I won't repeat here) is a good example of this sort of evaluation, as is the faeries-at-the-bottom-of-my-garden problem: It may indeed be the case that there are invisible, undetectable faeries living in my garden, but in the absence of evidence for them, it isn't reasonable to believe that there are.

As long as we can propose naturalistic, mundane explanations for mysterious phenomena, it simply isn't reasonable to propose others. And, given the track record or naturalism as an explicatory mechanism, it isn't reasonable to propose non-naturalistic explanations for things which we do not, as yet, understand.

This strikes me as the strongest support imaginable for non-theism. Until and unless theism can point to a phenomenon or group of phenomena for which no naturalistic explanation is possible, it leaves theism as an unreasonable belief.

I'd write more on this, but my painkillers are kicking in.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Why Religious Proof Or Disproof Is Unimportant
(October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Gods, by their very nature, are not particularly subject to proof or disproof in any meaningful sense. A sufficiently subtle deity isn't going to provide direct evidence of its existence. Logical constructs (for and against) seem to always start with or to contain premises which are arguable enough to render the entire construct suspect, if not invalid.
Indeed. Moreover, the type of deity which is worshiped in church on a sunday is not this type of subtle, non-interventionist god, often the only type of god which can be supported by 'philosophical' arguments. That doesn't stop theists from claiming that these 'proofs' demonstrate the existence of their interested-in-you-personally, interfering, all-everything god.
Sum ergo sum
(October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: A sufficiently subtle deity isn't going to provide direct evidence of its existence.

I guess I'm going to have to throw out that piece of toast with Jesus' face on it then.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I wish there were more theoretical theists than adamant theists. The theorists are people who would use logical reasoning to fit in a possible god figure, if able, but never forges the validity of such a god existing. Just like math, we propose different theories on solving patterns, then expand that beyond measurements. Before long You have abstraction that is no longer applied.

Tl;dr- theoretical theists try to work a god into real equations or expressions, but never declare any statements on the matter.

The adamants are the common group of theists that regardless of their intelligence, make illogical claims and push them. Why? Because it bears some sort of relevance. What relevance? It is not known, but still important. We might know what relevance it bears to to head of state (like the church), but the followers are simply loyal companions.

Tl;dr- adamants say god(s ) exist(s), regardless of logic.

TL;DR - Why can theists not hypothesize and attempt to solve how a god exists WITH UNCERTAINTY instead of null-claiming that existence with CERTAINTY?
(October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Until and unless theism can point to a phenomenon or group of phenomena for which no naturalistic explanation is possible, it leaves theism as an unreasonable belief.

There will always be gaps in our knowledge that theists will be able point at and proclaim god is responsible. These gaps are what theists use when they've already come to a certain conclusion but no positive evidence for their beliefs exist. For example, there is no evidence for the soul, but Christianity is entirely dependent upon its existence. So, if someone concludes that Christianity is true, they then have to use the holes in our natural understanding of the mind to support their belief.

My point is that they don't construct their beliefs from the ground up, so any gap in knowledge will be desperately clung to regardless of whether or not the Christian knows for certain that no natural explanation is possible.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Until and unless theism can point to a phenomenon or group of phenomena for which no naturalistic explanation is possible, it leaves theism as an unreasonable belief.
I don't know if theism IS unreasonable, unless you're forcing its tenets on others. People feel what they feel, and I know very reasonable religious people who just can't shake their very strong feeling of a deity. That I don't share that feeling is neither here nor there as to the feeling's reasonableness.

It's fine for me to say that theism is unreasonable FOR ME. It's also fine for me to say that it is unreasonable for you to push your beliefs into my private life, or into political action. But I don't think I can say that theism is flat-out unreasonable, because I can't tell people what they feel, or should feel.
(October 31, 2013 at 11:44 am)Zazzy Wrote: But I don't think I can say that theism is flat-out unreasonable, because I can't tell people what they feel, or should feel.

But isn't that the very essence of 'reasonableness'? Isn't reason the practice of setting aside emotion and examining the facts to arrive at a conclusion unsullied by that very emotion? I think a strong case can and ought be made to discern between what someone feels, as opposed to what they may actually believe. I can FEEL something is true, but I still may not BELIEVE it.

My definition of reason is very different from yours.
(October 31, 2013 at 11:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Gods, by their very nature, are not particularly subject to proof or disproof in any meaningful sense.

Why would "gods" have that nature? There is no reason for them to have that nature in reality. It is simply a cop out used by theists when people claim that their crap is all made up.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(October 31, 2013 at 12:46 pm)Raeven Wrote: But isn't that the very essence of 'reasonableness'? Isn't reason the practice of setting aside emotion and examining the facts to arrive at a conclusion unsullied by that very emotion?
It's something I have to think about more, since it is reasonable to have emotions, and hard to get away from them.Very strong feelings are hard to ignore, and we make decisions all the time based on them, and that's not always wrong. I think it's possible to make reasonable decisions for yourself based on both logic AND emotion, although maybe you can talk me out of that position.
Quote: I think a strong case can and ought be made to discern between what someone feels, as opposed to what they may actually believe. I can FEEL something is true, but I still may not BELIEVE it.
You'd have to give me an example, since the only ones I can think of now are from drug experiences- I FEEL that the trails in the air are real, because I can see them, but I know that they're a product of the shrooms. I think we tend to believe what we feel if the feeling lasts long enough (unlike the trails).
Quote:My definition of reason is very different from yours.
OK. As you have explained it, though, I don't think such a state of pure reason is possible in actual life for any extended period of time. Again, I'm open to reconsidering that position.
To all those who waste their time about whether God exists or not, grab a beer and shut the fuck up.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 627 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 651 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9745 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2011 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7879 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5242 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9494 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20280 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why people are religious jcvamp 115 17528 January 8, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19592 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato