Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theory vs. Hypothesis
Theory vs. Hypothesis
I would like to re-emphasise the difference between a theory and a hypothesis.

I have seen countless times through these forums, somebody trying to argue that their religious viewpoints have just as much truth behind them as scientific theorys like the big bang, because, they say so too are their religious interpretations just theorys.

NO.

All religion, religious texts, and religion-based ideas/philosophies are hypothesis, whereas science is theory.

Whats the difference you say?

A theory is

A hypothesis is

As you can see, a theory has supporting evidence, but is not proven, wheras a hypothesis has no supporting evidence whatsoever, and is just an untested guess.

Therefore, as stated above, religious views = hypothesis at best; Science = theory or fact.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

RE: Theory vs. Hypothesis
However, a scientific Working Hypothesis is more than just the colloquial sense of a hypothesis.

It's when the context is scientific that is important. "Theory" in the colloquial sense isn't the same as a scientific theory for instance.

Good point though (of course), and good topic, good post.

EvF
Indeed, there is a problem when discussing theories given the colloquial meaning versus the scientific meaning. So if I say "Evolution is a theory" I am discussing a theory that is established fact based on certain laws and tests that prove its efficacy. If I say, "I have a theory for why my hat is missing," means I have a guess as to what might have happened to my hat.

Time and time again I see people using theory in the colloquial sense to try and bring down science. It's frustrating, and when they say something like that, it proves to me their deep lack of understanding science. (Especially when they say, "If Evolution is a fact, why isn't it a law?" Makes me want to bang my head against a wall)
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Especially since scientific laws only tell us the restraints of nature, not what happens or how things happen. On the scale of scientific importance, theories come way above laws.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5227 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 26995 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1666 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Atheism as the null hypothesis. Jehanne 26 4348 March 31, 2016 at 4:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12685 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A crazy theory Ruprick 11 2694 February 18, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hindu Perspective: Counter to God of Gaps Theory Krishna Jaganath 26 5794 November 19, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  So here's my theory RobBlaze 28 8952 August 12, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video Dr Zakir Naik Vs the Theory of Evolution Mental Outlaw 4 2492 July 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  my new theory about christians Jextin 49 8011 October 4, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Lek