Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Rgument Over Public Executions- Who Is Right?
An Rgument Over Public Executions- Who Is Right?
I was arguing with my mother about executions in the US the other day. We are both VERY anti-death penalty.

She said that if we're going to spend tax payer dollars to execute people, we should televise it so the people paying for it and voting for it would know exactly what happens there. She feels that this would wake people up to what a horrible thing it is for the state to kill people, and that it would effect change.

I disagreed vehemently. I think if we were to televise such things, it would rapidly become entertainment- a la the Hunger Games- and coarsen people instead of shaking them up emotionally.

She said I am underestimating people. I said she was overestimating them. We then drank wine and shifted topic to how gorgeous Paul Newman was in his prime, always a safe topic.

Who is right (about executions, that is- everybody knows that Paul Newman was gorgeous)?
RE: An Rgument Over Public Executions- Who Is Right?
Having seen Democrats in America get their rocks off watching Sadaam's execution, I really don't have any faith in them changing their views on execution with something like that.....it's a form of entertainment and has been that way for countless centuries.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Zazzy, you have far too much faith in your fellow humans. In the 20th century, lynchings were all too common, and the whole bloody town would come out to see it, and have a fucking picnic. Even brought the kids. That's who we share this planet with. And yeah, lots of people watched that nasty vid of Sadam getting hung, of all political stripes. I keep hoping we get past that savage stage, but we aren't there yet. Sad
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Don't forget about the coliseum. Emperors made man fight man, and man fight other animals.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
You want to get the average person to turn against the death penalty, making them watch will only work if it is not turned into infotainment, and will only work for some. Mostly it will be "Murica, fuck yeah!". I say make people do it. If a person feels another person deserve to die, then make then do it. Someone has to. That will change most people's minds. Any that are eager, put under observation. I am against the death penalty. I am a vegetarian and feel the same way to a lesser degree about meet. You want to eat a cow look it in the eye and put a bullet in it's brain.
Mxwll
Quote:She said I am underestimating people.

It is not possible to underestimate people that much. But you'd quickly find that lethal injection was too passive for the ratings. The networks would push for the electric chair.....or stonings.
(October 31, 2013 at 9:27 pm)Raven Wrote: Zazzy, you have far too much faith in your fellow humans. In the 20th century, lynchings were all too common, and the whole bloody town would come out to see it, and have a fucking picnic. Even brought the kids. That's who we share this planet with. And yeah, lots of people watched that nasty vid of Sadam getting hung, of all political stripes. I keep hoping we get past that savage stage, but we aren't there yet. Sad
I'm the one who said this would become entertainment!

It's my mother who's naive as hell. Glad you agree.
Raven - put down the bong and re-read Tongue

Zazz - History has shown you to be correct. Naivety on your mother's part, but what she wants people to gather from viewing executions is understandable - albeit, unrealistic.
Yes, I don't think that public televising of lethal injections would do much. Something hideous like an electric chair execution might wake the public up, but unfortunately most Americans would probably make the executions into a big entertainment spectacle. And the condemned prisoners would probably get turned into celebrities, only if temporary and posthumous.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Exactly, televising executions would desensitize people to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump Ally Calls for Public Executions ZoomerTrumper 1 242 February 26, 2024 at 11:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Trump Ally Calls for Public Executions ZoomerTrumper 1 235 February 26, 2024 at 11:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 3916 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Should public transportation be free? Fake Messiah 41 2650 July 26, 2022 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Just report the GD report to the public and settle this Equinox25 3 257 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Dem senators unveil expanded public option for health insurance Aegon 19 3715 April 26, 2018 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you change about the American public school system? Bahana 53 5984 April 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Homosexuality should be forbidden in public Sopra 33 3326 February 28, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  GOP healthcare bill surcharge is essentially a public mandate. The Industrial Atheist 4 967 March 13, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why aren't the fuckheads on the right losing their shit over this NuclearEnergy 11 2454 February 18, 2017 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy