Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science is my mistress...
Science is my mistress...
Can't get enough of it.

My topic of choice is science, and space and anything related to those things.

Witch Head Nebula.... awesome

Quote:2

The infrared portrait shows the Witch Head nebula, named after its resemblance to the profile of a wicked witch. Astronomers say the billowy clouds of the nebula, where baby stars are brewing, are being lit up by massive stars. Dust in the cloud is being hit with starlight, causing it to glow with infrared light, which was picked up by WISE's detectors.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...110219.htm

Coldest place in the universe, that was have as yet measured.
Quote:At a positively frigid one Kelvin (that equates to –458 degrees Fahrenheit or –272 degrees Celsius), the Boomerang Nebula in the constellation Centaurus is officially the coldest known place in the entire Universe. It’s even colder than the background temperature of space!
Can you see my breath?

How the fuck did such a huge creature walk our tiny planet?

http://cdn4.sci-news.com/images/enlarge/...saurus.jpg

And more,

If I had a penis, this stuff would surely give me a hard-on.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
RE: Science is my mistress...
Wow, 1 Kelvin. If I remember science classes correctly, the Kelvin thermometer starts at absolute zero. Better throw another log on the fire.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Two of my favorite subjects from science; space and dinosaurs. I ate up anything and everything I could about those subjects even as a kid.
So did I.

In first grade I was one of two that could spell paleontology. I'll never forget that year because we were supposed to go to a dinosaur museum for a field trip. I got stomach flu or something the night before and couldn't go.

Much more of a space nut though. There's no word descriptive enough to describe it, awe-inspiring, amazing... these terms are worthless compared to the beauty that is the universe.
No, no! Not big, SMALL. The wonders of the small await you. The miracles of the genome! The elegance of a bacteriophage! The harmonies of intergenomic relationships! All await you in the most amazing, death-defying, groovy field of them all...MOLECULAR GENETICS!

C'mon, young people!
Well as my mom says;
"Whatever tweaks your tweeter".
(November 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm)Owlix Wrote: Well as my mom says;
I'm so sorry, Owlix, but that sounds SOOO delightfully nasty. I think I'm going to ask my sweetie to tweak my tweeter tonight. I'm not sure what will happen, but it has to be good.
(November 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm)Zazzy Wrote:
(November 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm)Owlix Wrote: Well as my mom says;
I'm so sorry, Owlix, but that sounds SOOO delightfully nasty. I think I'm going to ask my sweetie to tweak my tweeter tonight. I'm not sure what will happen, but it has to be good.

I'm a long time audiophile, so I have considerable experience tweaking tweeters, if you'd like a free consult.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 6, 2013 at 2:56 am)apophenia Wrote:
(November 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm)Zazzy Wrote: I'm so sorry, Owlix, but that sounds SOOO delightfully nasty. I think I'm going to ask my sweetie to tweak my tweeter tonight. I'm not sure what will happen, but it has to be good.

I'm a long time audiophile, so I have considerable experience tweaking tweeters, if you'd like a free consult.

Back in the day I too was an audiophile. There's a 20 minute documentary video on the Audiophile club of Athens by Savage Bean. I'm the English guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

I have to admit I've rather lost interest in the whole thing these days. I realized that my fellow audiophiles didn't really have much interest in the music - it was all about the systems for them. I was the opposite.

That meant they would be talking about the latest NOS EL34's they'd picked up and were running in triode mode and I'd be talking about the best performance I had found of the Rach 3 piano concerto (Askenazy / Previn/ LSO on London Records - as it happens).

Owlix,

All over the dinosaurs - have been since I was a child. The thing that amazed me was, after spending an entire childhood learning everything I could about dinosaurs when I came back to it, years later, it had all changed entirely. Some of the dinosaurs I had learned about didn't even exist whilst there were whole new groups that had been discovered that I knew nothing about.

Still watch and read anything I can on dinosaurs.

Saw this one last night, as it happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLVKAW3WH0
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
I find space science really interesting too, especially pursuits like space exploration and space mining. If humanity has a purpose, then in my mind, that's it. I'm going to be starting a BSc in a few months in Maths and Physics, and I put in an Astrophysics course because it's fucking amazing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7683 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4265 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe