Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist marriages lost longer
Atheist marriages lost longer
http://www.alternet.org/belief/surprise-...stian-ones

Marriage is a sacred union between one man and one woman. They become “one flesh” and only death should part them. Leastways that is the way fundies like to think about it.

Problem is that this is not biblical. The God of the Bible still endorses polygamy and sexual slavery and coerced marriage of young virgins along with monogamy. In fact, he endorses all three to the point of providing detailed regulations. Based on stories of sex and marriage that God rewards and appears to approve one might add incest to the mix. Nowhere does the Bible say, “Don’t have sex with someone who doesn’t want to have sex with you.”

Furthermore, none of the norms that are endorsed and regulated in the Old Testament law – polygamy, sexual slavery, coerced marriage of young girls—are revised, reversed, or condemned by Jesus. In fact, the writer of Matthew puts these words in the mouth of Jesus:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law [the Old Testament] until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)
OK, that is not exactly a surprise, except perhaps to the fundies who never actually seem to read said book. Why bother, if it's important Preacher will talk about it on Sunday, right? They know that they have it right and that their marriages are gonna last, unlike those ungodly liberal, secular humanist, commie, atheist types. Problem is that it does not work out that way. Barma Research Group over a decade ago, found that divorce is hightest among Baptist and non-denominational Bible-based Xtians, and lower among the liberal Xtians and atheist were at the bottom of the divorce grouping.

In 2008 they did it again. The numbers flutuated a bit but the atheist stayed at the bottom as the least divorcing group once more and fundies at the top. 30% reported ever being divorced, as opposed to 32% The Bible Belt has the highest divorce rate and has for a decade. Marriage is faring better where all those left-leaning, gay rights supporting, Obama loving liberals in the north and west live. Why this may be is a complex issue.

Marrying early may have something to do with it. Women who marry young tend to be less educated and therefore less financially secure, both correlated with higher divorce rates. As for those who are in the “quiverfull” movement, when you are young the more kids you have the less marital bliss you have. A bunch of really young kids is a big-time strain.

Secular couples tend to be older when they wed, and tend to plan for families. A lower percent get married in the first place, so maybe they are especially committed and/or suited to it. They tend to have less kids. They are given to being egalitarian as opposed to “hubbies in charge” about it as well.

Not that that's the end of it, of course. Any thoughts?
[/code]
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

RE: Atheist marriages lost longer
(November 3, 2013 at 9:29 am)Raven Wrote: The Bible Belt has the highest divorce rate and has for a decade. Marriage is faring better where all those left-leaning, gay rights supporting, Obama loving liberals in the north and west live. Why this may be is a complex issue.

I don't think it's so complex. The bible belt is quite conservative and we all know that conservatives tend to think less of women's rights and therefore women's worth. While men who are more liberal tend to see their wives as equal partners in a marriage, fundie Christians tend to think that "wife" stands for Wash, Iron, Fuck, Etc. Only the most downtrodden doormats care to stay in a marriage like that, and probably because of Stockholm syndrome or that they've convinced themselves that that's their lot in life and they don't deserve any better because of what's written in a thousands-year-old book.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I've been married for 43 years. Killers serve less time.
(November 3, 2013 at 9:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I've been married for 43 years. Killers serve less time.

Are you playing around or is your marriage actually unpleasant? Several times, you've expressed similar sentiments.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Montreal priests no longer allowed to be alone with children Fake Messiah 6 1880 June 25, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A hunger to live longer? KichigaiNeko 0 1377 August 6, 2012 at 6:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko