Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math education progression? (Please help me)
Math education progression? (Please help me)
Hi, guys.

I've been playing with game programming, and I've come up against a limitation: in order to some kinds of effects (lightning, compression waves, etc.) I need to actually understand the math behind them, and to apply it confidently (no cut-and-paste for this!). I don't think I can generate original effects without a good knowledge of the math behind them. I also want to work on video/sound editing: compression systems, noise removal, etc.

First, I'm interested in establishing a solid math foundation. I was good in high school, and went as far as basic trig, algebra, and a calculus intro, but I don't remember much. That was more than 20 years ago.

Can someone who's done math in Uni give me a kind of waypoint map of what to study and in what order? I'm guessing total master of algebra and trig first, since calculating gravity etc. obviously depends on those.

I'd like to work my way right up to a bachelor's level and even dabble in Master's level stuff eventually-- I think I can put in about an hour/day on it.

Here's a game I was working on last year. Please do fast forward past the boring coding talking and look at the actual gameplay-- nothing's more annoying than some goober trying to do a tutorial. If you ever wanted to see Pope Ratzinger explode while quoting the Wizard of Oz and flying a cartoon UFO, here's your chance! Smile

RE: Math education progression? (Please help me)
Lol the game is cool, I would play it. As for your math, I really don't think someone who hasn't done anything but high school stuff in 20 years will be able to pick up bachelors/masters level mathematics from someone tutoring them online. I would recommend buying an undergrad maths book and starting there, and watch youtube recordings of uni lectures.
Don't forget Khan academy online. If you're brushing up on your own, you might find that sort of concise explanation helpful.
(November 4, 2013 at 7:31 am)Sejanus Wrote: Lol the game is cool, I would play it. As for your math, I really don't think someone who hasn't done anything but high school stuff in 20 years will be able to pick up bachelors/masters level mathematics from someone tutoring them online. I would recommend buying an undergrad maths book and starting there, and watch youtube recordings of uni lectures.

No no, I don't want a tutor. I just want someone to tell me the progression in which they learned things. e.g. first algebra, then trig, then calculus, then . . . Basically, I guess I need to know what the grade 12 and first couple years of Uni math cover, so I can approach my studies with a sense of order rather than just going wherever the wind blows.

The problem is I'm trying to trace backward like this: "Okay, I'm writing a graphics shader effect for my DirectX game, but I don't understand the calculations. I see sin/cos in there, so probably trig but. . . " I'd rather start with a solid foundation.

Also-- thanks for the comment about the game. I had designs to make an editor so you can put in your most hated person-- mine was Paris Hilton but upgraded to the Pope. Big Grin
(November 4, 2013 at 8:27 am)whateverist Wrote: Don't forget Khan academy online. If you're brushing up on your own, you might find that sort of concise explanation helpful.

Fantastic. I think just this site alone will set a good enough foundation to start branching out to harder things. Thanks! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3163 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5261 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1020 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6886 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1895 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13658 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 5870 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1452 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10775 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13620 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas