Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What logical fallacies are William Lane Craig's favorite?
What logical fallacies are William Lane Craig's favorite?
I'm watching a debate between WLC and Christopher Hitchen's linked here
http://youtu.be/4KBx4vvlbZ8
I noticed WLC here using a lot of fallacies, while hitchens uses none. I can not help but think, holy appeal to authority batman. What do you think is wlc's favorite logical fallacy.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: What logical fallacies are William Lane Craig's favorite?
No thought's?
Signifying nothing.
His tactic is to use lots of big words, say them very quickly, so no one kknows what he means and somehow people fall for that and think he's right.

I only listened to him once and I couldn't even finish listening, he just kept using philosophical terms and pretty soon it's all meaningless to me.
(November 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: His tactic is to use lots of big words, say them very quickly, so no one kknows what he means and somehow people fall for that and think he's right.

I only listened to him once and I couldn't even finish listening, he just kept using philosophical terms and pretty soon it's all meaningless to me.

Informally, I believe the term is "Gish Gallop".
(November 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(November 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: His tactic is to use lots of big words, say them very quickly, so no one kknows what he means and somehow people fall for that and think he's right.

Informally, I believe the term is "Gish Gallop".

A kissing cousin to 'psychobabble' and 'legalese'?
(November 4, 2013 at 10:49 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote:
(November 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Informally, I believe the term is "Gish Gallop".

A kissing cousin to 'psychobabble' and 'legalese'?

More like "buried in bullshit".

Oh wait, yes - exactly like that.
(November 4, 2013 at 10:49 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: A kissing cousin to 'psychobabble'....
(partial quote)

I have a keen sense that you are using diversionary and dissuasive language to mask the true
nature of your impetus, thus disabling any truly accurate collection of data worth examining.
I dunno, he seems really horny for appeals to authority, but like all good christians he makes apt use of strawmen
Signifying nothing.
I say it's Special Pleading.

He makes various "philosophical" arguments for his Christian god, all of which could just as easily be applied to any other god or any other religion. In fact, special pleading really is the sine qua non of faith. After all, faith is belief without evidence and against all evidence. Yet, Craig wouldn't accept the existence of Shiva or Allah on the same basis.

The bare assertion fallacy is one I often see him hitting. "Without God, and by 'God', I of course mean Jesus, there can be no objective morals. But since objective morals exist..." Back up the truck, Hoss, you haven't provided any evidence for either assertion.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 5, 2013 at 1:28 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: I say it's Special Pleading.

He makes various "philosophical" arguments for his Christian god, all of which could just as easily be applied to any other god or any other religion. In fact, special pleading really is the sine qua non of faith. After all, faith is belief without evidence and against all evidence. Yet, Craig wouldn't accept the existence of Shiva or Allah on the same basis.

The bare assertion fallacy is one I often see him hitting. "Without God, and by 'God', I of course mean Jesus, there can be no objective morals. But since objective morals exist..." Back up the truck, Hoss, you haven't provided any evidence for either assertion.

Yeah, but pretty much every apologist has to do that. Still why the fuck does he state that he is a professional philosopher, in what seems like every public engagement?
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 954 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 13936 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3175 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3373 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  RationalWiki article on Craig. Jehanne 56 17758 September 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  William Lane Craig is a narcissistic sociopath. Jehanne 55 17724 June 16, 2017 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Logical proof that God doesnt exist. Macoleco 5 2578 November 24, 2016 at 2:47 am
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3474 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anyone else here also post over at W.L. Craig's website? Whateverist 16 3029 March 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Nuda900
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7266 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged