Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins being his usual prissy self
Richard Dawkins being his usual prissy self
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...19618.html

Quote:World famous English ethologist, evolutionary biologist and unrelenting critic of religion and the religious, Richard Dawkins, has turned his anger on airport security rules after he had a jar of honey confiscated.

Dawkins, who is no stranger to Twitter controversy following alleged anti-Muslim comments he made back in August, declared on the micro-blogging site that ‘Bin Laden has won, in airports of the world every day’ after security took away his jar of honey.

The outspoken atheist, who came to prominence with his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, criticised what he called ‘dundridges’ - his word for petty jobsworths - and described the confiscation of his honey as a 'STUPID waste.'

The latest outburst follows a tweet in August in which he said: "All the world's Muslims have fewer Nobel Prizes than Trinity College, Cambridge. They did great things in the Middle Ages, though."

He was widely criticised by fellow twitter-users who claimed his comments were 'anti-Muslim'.

Last month the academic once again found himself at the centre of a row over an interview he gave to the Times Magazine in which he appeared to suggest he was the victim of 'mild paedophilia' at school and that current cases of historical child sex abuse had been overblown.

"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours", he said.

There was little sympathy today in response to the tweets regarding the confiscated honey.

One Twitter user wrote: "You could have just read the rules properly and not kept it in your hand luggage..." Another added, sarcastically: "You truly are the real victim of terrorism."

However, some followers had more sympathy for Dawkins' argument, one writing: "You are quite right. After the awful violence & bloodshed, the winning tactic of the terrorist is to instil lasting fear."

I know a lot of members like Richard Dawkins for what he's contributed to evolutionary biology and his anti-religion sentiment (something which I personally oppose), but outside of his field, the guy's a fucker and a moron. And his robotic, almost alienated Twitter followers are even less tolerable.

A couple of weeks ago, he tweeted how no men with long beards (in reference to Muslims, in a conversation with another Twitter user) never could contribute much to science. I guess he never took an astronomy class. The tweets have since been removed. It's a shame he can't recognize his own idiocy before he clicks the "send" button.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Richard Dawkins being his usual prissy self
Dawkins needs to get that stick out of his ass.
Well, the man is right, it is a stupid rule, but soon to be overruled by having proper detectors.

On the other hand, the man has been using airplanes quite a lot, lately... and he should be fully aware of this rule and should have taken measures to account for it...

Also, perhaps it's just a a fabricated story to illustrate a point.
[Image: th?id=H.4823296726993575&w=171&h=179&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7]
He's right, the terrorists have won. The security measures at the airport these days are stupid and I'd like to see a list of any terrorists they have actually stopped.
(November 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm)ToriJ Wrote: He's right, the terrorists have won.

You forced to pray towards Mecca?
(November 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm)ToriJ Wrote: He's right, the terrorists have won. The security measures at the airport these days are stupid and I'd like to see a list of any terrorists they have actually stopped.

I don't have time to do a full investigation right now, but here's a few to start with.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

He's often a moron, but this time he does have a point. Fair enough he didn't read or follow the rules concerning what you can take in your hand luggage, but the rules are fucking ridiculous in the first place.

As security expert Bruce Schneier would say, the anti-terrorism measures at airports are nothing but security theater. They don't stop terrorist attacks, and plane hijackings will never happen to the extent of 9/11 ever again because passengers will always fight back. By all means ban guns, knives, etc, but liquid that clearly isn't some kind of explosive should be allowed on board.

(November 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I don't have time to do a full investigation right now, but here's a few to start with.
I'll have to scrutinize that list, because not so long ago I believe the TSA admitted that they hadn't actually caught any terrorists via the security checks at airports.

They are always caught beforehand (i.e. due to surveillance) or after the plane is in the air...

Indeed, a quite browse through that list and it includes Richard Reid (shoe bomber who was caught on the plane) and a load of others that say "arrested by the FBI". The TSA aren't mentioned in the article at all...
My problem with Richard Dawkins is he that he is the very caricature of the elitist, atheist stereotype that many people hold true.

But it's funny that someone that is constantly complaining about how stupid other people are couldn't read the rules displayed quite conspicuously.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I don't have time to do a full investigation right now, but here's a few to start with.

Don't happen to have another source, do you? Because I'm skeptical of a site called Conservative Policy Research and Analysis with anti-Obamacare articles and a bunch of stuff like 'the importance of religion in families' and 'saving the American Dream'.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When will Trump announce his 2024 Presidential bid? Jehanne 8 807 July 28, 2022 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 753 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why Did Dante Title His Work The Divine Comedy? Rhondazvous 10 3208 August 30, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 9049 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32938 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1967 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Finally got his autograph!! SofaKingHigh 24 4565 October 26, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: SofaKingHigh
  Help TRJF name his NEW KITTY!!!!! TheRealJoeFish 52 4386 September 20, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  The-Boring-Self-Absorbed-Rambely-Bullshit-Thread Edwardo Piet 38 5427 April 19, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Idiot blew his leg off KUSA 59 6073 March 29, 2016 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37