Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soulmates
Soulmates
Do you think soulmates exist? Do you think you get just one?

I've already found one soulmate and lost her. I met her when I was too young to do anything about it. I was in first grade, and I saw her and she seemed to glow with this inner light. I loved her right away, and I spent every moment I possibly could with her.

She was my first kiss. (I kissed her when we were 10.) That kiss was so wonderful it was the only thing I could think about until I hit puberty. Then the only thing I could think about was how much I wanted to touch her all over, but I knew she couldn't want me back like that because she hadn't hit puberty yet.

I let her drift away when I started homeschooling. Then I saw her at a party when we were about 16. She was a shell of her former self, all her light was gone. She seemed bitter and miserable. I talked to her on Facebook when I was 19, and told her that I was gay. She told me she couldn't support me and that she wanted me not to be happy, but pure in the eyes of God. I deleted her on Facebook, and since she lives in some other part of the country, I lost contact with her entirely. All I know is that she married a man. She is probably choosing to live a lie in order to appease her god. I just hope that one day she will be free of her religious shackles and choose happiness.

It never would have worked between us, because of her religiosity. She never would have accepted herself as gay no matter what I did. So I really hope I get more than one soulmate in this lifetime. I want to love again as purely as I did the first time.
RE: Soulmates
Your post is warm and sincere. I personally do not believe in a soul, let alone the soul of another to be mated with. I know from my work that our brains produce various chemical cocktails that lead to varying degrees of feeling 'love'. I also know from personal experience that some of those cocktails are stronger and more alluring to me than others, say a 'Kimberly' over a 'Sally' cocktail. On a chemical level it's really no more relevant than my preference for a 'Beer' over a 'Martini". I guess if I had any soul mate at all, it would have to be beer.
(November 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Your post is warm and sincere. I personally do not believe in a soul, let alone the soul of another to be mated with. I know from my work that our brains produce various chemical cocktails that lead to varying degrees of feeling 'love'. I also know from personal experience that some of those cocktails are stronger and more alluring to me than others, say a 'Kimberly' over a 'Sally' cocktail. On a chemical level it's really no more relevant than my preference for a 'Beer' over a 'Martini". I guess if I had any soul mate at all, it would have to be beer.
Well, I don't literally believe in souls, either. I believe in the brain, because that is real. I only believe in soulmates because I have found one already.
I think figuratively there are soul mates, we must not become too callous to our emotions. They serve us good and bad but they are what make us human. I honestly do not know what it feels like to meet "the one".
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
Being the hopeless romantic that I am I like the idea of a soulmate, but don't personally subscribe to it. I think different bonds and relationships are forged through time and some of those bonds develop to romantic feelings and reasonable compromises need to be made for the relationship to work. But there is nothing really to indicate that it's fated to be.

I used to have a crush on a girl I knew from church at a young age. To the point that I was unable to talk to her and would get tongue tied. It wouldn't have worked out either, sadly. As I progressively fell out of Christianity and she became more intertwine into it. Ironically, she married a man whose surname is the same as my first name that shares some traits with me.
No, I don't believe in soulmates. I think we meet many people we feel intensely attracted to, and one or a few of those people come into our lives at just the right time. In the 10+ years I have been with my honey, I have met others who I know I could really let myself fall for if I was single. It's part hormones, part accident, and part choice who we end up with.

Love is never the same, though, after first love- that crazy hormonal awakening, and the newness of it all- that's gone later in life, although it gets replaced with other, better things, IMO. Just because it's not the crazy rush of the first time doesn't mean it's not as good. Experience and knowing what you like is a good thing.
I find that __gamy is not an acquired preference as You live with yours from birth, though cultural influence can help decide. Some people have the "soulmate" tendency and are monogamous. I have to admit, monogamy is an evolved behaviour from settling. Others have the "openness" tendency and are thus polygamous. You can practice the other type, but it does not mean You will ever like it or become comfortable.

Dating has nothing to do with monogamy or polygamy, it is just a cultural fad that people use to test each other in terms of behaviour or rating in bed.
I would dearly love to think that soulmates are a real thing. My dearest Sam was - is - the closest to a soulmate I have ever been privileged to know. If there's one thing I want to be true, it would be the hope of being with her again in some future existence.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Well, when I think of a soulmate I think of a girl that is as me in thought, word and deed. I'm sure there is someone out there that is as me, though I am not really in a particular search for a soulmate right now. And even if I found her I would not know what to do-years of devoting myself to a cause left little room for romance, I know very little about such things, as in how to recognize desirable traits other than outward beauty in a person, or whether she's interested in me or not.
So I don't really know whether soulmates exist. I simply know that certain people get along better than others. But this does not always amount to a romantic relationship.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(November 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Do you think soulmates exist? Do you think you get just one?

Soul mate is more often about the dilusion in one's own soul than about any quality in the mate.