Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's just a goddamn number!
It's just a goddamn number!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool...18529.html

Quote:In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

Oh well, her loss.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: It's just a goddamn number!
Couldn't they have told her it was "999" and asked all of the other runners to wear their numbers upside-down?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
[Image: 132-Humanities-future-is-in-the-stars-650x347.png]
"This time the bullet cold rocked ya a yellow ribbon instead of a swastika?" -RATM
(November 6, 2013 at 11:15 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool...18529.html

Quote:In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

Oh well, her loss.

It's what people have made of the number(s).... on both sides of the issue.

Why do people avoid "13"... including planes, hotels, businesses etc?

When you are brought up to be superstitious....
Quis ut Deus?
I wonder if she would have been ok wearing 69?
Or 616?
That's what pisses me off... we'll never advance as a species if we're afraid of a damn number because it was written in a book a couple thousand years ago about someone who died a long time ago, and probably is a mistranslation in the first place. And even then, the number just refers to that particular "beast," it doesn't actually say that the beast is Satan. There are several different beasts mentioned in Revelation, but somehow Christians think that each one of them are the devil.

Remember when "Passion of the Christ" came out, and a bunch of Christians were freaking out because their ticket numbers had the string 666 in them?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm)Tonus Wrote: Couldn't they have told her it was "999" and asked all of the other runners to wear their numbers upside-down?

Yeah, but what's the poor sod who originally got '999' supposed to do?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 6, 2013 at 11:15 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool...18529.html

Oh well, her loss.

Too many idiots....too little ammunition.
As soon as I saw the thread title I knew what this was going to be about. I almost posted this myself.

I can only imagine that if there is a god up there, she's sitting there thinking, "What the fuck? Why would I care about a number?"
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8553 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  William Lane Craig denies the number zero. Jehanne 63 7332 October 30, 2016 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The number one reason not to follow Christianity Aegon 43 8943 March 11, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Halloween special: what if... Number 2 Drich 20 4055 October 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Jesus and the Number 14 cockup michaelsherlock 25 12703 April 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  The Gospel of John and the number 153 Ziploc Surprise 3 2897 January 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko