Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist.
I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist.
Hey I'm super new to this forum (stumbled across it like 15 minutes ago) but I have been looking for a place just like this. Actually what I was looking for on Google initially was some sort of hotline where I could call and speak to an atheist but I only found one of those and nobody answered. Furthermore I thought it unlikely that I would be able to speak to someone who would be able to address my specific needs. What I would like is someone to talk to/argue with regarding atheism.

While procrastinating for some work that I needed to get done I went off on a youtube frenzy, watching videos which I thought would be interesting in the recommended list. I came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjEbPfc2d0 and had a number of issues. Bottom line is that I kept on trying to respond to the guy in the video but obviously I couldn't, and seeing as how the video had like 300k views it is unlikely that any comment would be answered by the video maker. After watching the video I started searching google for an atheist hotline with which I could speak to an informed atheist. No luck with that, and that is why I am here.

So I would like to argue with someone one on one (if we did this on the forum then too many people would get involved and it would get too confusing) via gchat or some other medium. If this is against the forum rules then please let me know before I get some sort of an infraction. So anyways, if anyone is interested then please private message me your contact details (email address or skype ID or something of the sort).

Here is a description of the type of person I am looking for:
-Atheist/Agnostic
-Someone that is not afraid to say things the way they are, but at the same time not rude. I'd like it to be a polite discussion without any immature name-calling etc.
-Someone that will not be overly offensive to my religion (Islam). For example someone that would not call my prophet a pedophile or something for no reason. In other words someone that is relatively respectful.
-Someone well informed about Sunni Islam
-Preferably but not necessarily someone that is similar to me in that he or she is relatively good at math and computer science (I just think that it would be easier if we both think in the same way)
-Someone that likes (or loves) to argue

So if you think that you meet the above description then please private message me or if you don't care about giving out that info publicly then please post in this thread your contact details. Thanks.
RE: I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist.
I'd say that... to meet all those criteria... you would do well with paulpablo.

If it wasn't for that requirement of being "well informed about Sunni Islam", I could do it... or Esquilax. But, to me, Sunni or any other islam is just islam... it's all the same thing. Don't feel offended, I do the same for christians, couldn't care less if they're catholic, pentecostal, church of England, or whatever... all christians. The same for hindus. And then I even go a step forward and say all theists are the same deluded people.
So, to me, it's the same whether you're muslim, christian, or druid...

If you want to argue some fine points of islam, then perhaps you'd do well to browse the Islam sub-forum. Perhaps your points have already been addressed, debunked and/or ignored and taunted.

Also, you have the debate area where there are rules to have only one-on-one debate, and everyone else just watches. But you'll have to find a partner and agree to the rules of the debate beforehand.

As for the video... I've gone through half of it and the guy seems to explain in a very concise and fast way most of the questions that christians pose to atheists. Thanks for it. If you want to ask something about those questions or any other, please go ahead and pose it, either on this thread, or open a specific thread for it.

On a final note, don't be afraid to interact with everyone. You're not the only muslim around here. Maybe it won't be a one-vs-all kind of thread.

And..... Welcome to Af.org!!
Enjoy your stay, stick around, try not to whine, be prepared to read awesome stuff!

[Image: D7612546_714_096623148]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome from the UK

That's quite an offer, there! It might help if you post an outline of the types of discussion/argument/debate you're looking to have: you'll have more luck finding someone if they know you're arguing biology, history, politics, law, philosophy etc.

There are quite a few well informed people on this forum. I'm sure that you'll find a taker if you're more explicit.
Sum ergo sum
You could simply state your points in an open topic and only engage those whom you feel are worth engaging in discussion or argument.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
You can contact the guy in that video (Hemant Mehta) here:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/contact/
Judging by his prolific blogging, he will probably be happy to skype you, or make new videos based on your questions.

If you want some rational/scientific studies of Islam:

A Rational Study of Radical Islam, by Dr. Bill Warner (Physicist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9sYgqRtZGg

Danish researcher, Tina Magaard (PhD in Textual Analysis)
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/05/danish...igion.html

If you're looking for an ex-Muslim scholar who isn't too offensive, try Ibn Warraq:
http://www.amazon.com/Ibn-Warraq/e/B001JPADHK

What if we called your prophet a pedophile for a reason?
I read the title as "I would like to spank an informed atheist".
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'm going to guess that an atheist well-versed in Sunni Islam is a rare bird to find. Good luck.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1431 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3397 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3192 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6511 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16432 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I would like some advise Hammok Man 78 20040 August 8, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: mordant
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3545 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Would you like to be immortal? Little Rik 188 17960 February 20, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What would evidence of a God even look like? Excited Penguin 153 22100 September 12, 2016 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7306 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon