Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced to lead prayer in school.
Forced to lead prayer in school.
I am an Atheist. I need some advice, how can I handle my teacher whenever she assigns me to lead a prayer in class? I am really annoyed by it. She doesn't know I'm an Atheist. It has been a tradition in our country to pray before starting a class. My teacher is strict, So I'm worried about getting embarrassed or scolded in class if I tell her that I'm an Athiest.
RE: Forced to lead prayer in school.
(November 11, 2013 at 6:44 am)Keenhazard Wrote:
I am an Atheist. I need some advice, how can I handle my teacher whenever she assigns me to lead a prayer in class? I am really annoyed by it. She doesn't know I'm an Atheist. It has been a tradition in our country to pray before starting a class. My teacher is strict, So I'm worried about getting embarrassed or scolded in class if I tell her that I'm an Athiest.

What country are you in and what grade level in school?
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Where in the world is it ok to start a class with a prayer? middle east? Bible belt?
It's not technically allowed even in the Bible Belt, I'm really curious to see where Keen is from.
(November 11, 2013 at 6:48 am)Ivy Wrote: What country are you in and what grade level in school?

Philippines, College level. How can I handle my teacher?.
Ohh Philippines, that explains it. I know that country really took hold of Christiany-God-things. You could ask your teacher to respect your beliefs, perhaps even in private, and if she does not let you avoid taking prayer lead then lead the prayer while saying such things as "I pray to a God that probably does not exist that one day we all shall be respected for our beliefs or lack thereof."
(November 11, 2013 at 7:05 am)Keenhazard Wrote: Philippines, College level. How can I handle my teacher?.

Is the tradition to pray to a specific god? Because if it's not, I can happily provide you a list. I think praying to a sequence of old gods would do the trick, but then, I'm a principled bastard like that.

Otherwise, I understand the desire to avoid being singled out for your beliefs, but I can only suggest that you look around, see what's there, in your own situation, and ask yourself what you stand to lose or gain by coming out of the atheist-closet. Only you can really decide whether or not to take that step, or whether you're even comfortable with it.

Right now, we don't really have enough information to give you an unqualified recommendation here. Obviously you'd have a lot of support here if you did, but if there's any danger of consequence I'd say just politely decline.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Esqu is right, weigh the consequences as well. Sometimes there is no other choice but to remain in the closet :/
College?
Now for the cherry on top.... physics class?

What a bunch of retarded people.... -.-'
Yeah, go with Esq... be careful, retarded people can still hurt you.
I like this one.

Quote:CHAPLAIN: Let us praise God. O Lord,...

CONGREGATION: O Lord,...

CHAPLAIN: ...ooh, You are so big,...

CONGREGATION: ...ooh, You are so big,...

CHAPLAIN: ...so absolutely huge.

CONGREGATION: ...so absolutely huge.

CHAPLAIN: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.

CONGREGATION: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.

CHAPLAIN: Forgive us, O Lord, for this, our dreadful toadying, and...

CONGREGATION: And barefaced flattery.

CHAPLAIN: But You are so strong and, well, just so super.

CONGREGATION: Fantastic.

HUMPHREY: Amen.

CONGREGATION: Amen.
Your plastic pal who's fun to be with![Image: b7wAvWj.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5080 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1839 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5081 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6414 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3543 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Prayer purplepurpose 94 14705 January 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GodisintheTV
  Forced Prayer ScienceAf 33 6286 August 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11357 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 8904 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Daughter objects to prayers at school TubbyTubby 48 7422 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: LastPoet