Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-evolution of the Maternal Instinct
So do we now live in a society where paternal instincts is becoming less and less of an evolutionary necessity? We no longer need to perpetuate our species at the lengths we do in order to ensure our continued survival. In the last 200 years alone our scientific and medicinal advances have increased our life-spans, our quality of life for a large majority of the populous has gotten better and more prosperous. The industrial revolution alone has meant that large families aren't needed to work on farms and be successors for their ancestors. We have almost eradicated every threat of persistent disease known to us. Infact, a continuation in the rate at which we are multiplying is certainly both, economically and environmentally going to be our downfall. Now this in itself is a fantastic irony. We reproduce, or did reproduce as a means of survival, and there are now so many of us our populous so great that the possibility of the continual support of ourselves is becoming unceasingly impossible. We are consuming all of our natural resources on an unimaginable scale, killing each other in the rate of millions. (Although not at a rate high enough as to levy things out.) Our over inflated ego's and massive sense of self, has propelled the zeitgeist of "the sanctity of life." My friends we don't, or the maybe the zeitgeist is changing. If even slightly.

We are consumed in our lives of bountiful pleasures. Yet increasingly, I read more and more about parents who have horrendously abused their children, neglected them, beat them and in more increasingly extreme cases caused there deaths. I am not discussing the choice of parents to place their children into care, as this can in itself be viewed as an act full of loving intent. The want of a better chance of survival for their offspring. I'm talking of unadulterated evils of humanity towards our own genetic babes. I want to discuss whether this might be just an imagined hypothesis I have is due to increased media coverage. If this is the way of things then what the reason for it are? I find it a very interesting topic for discussion as its uncomfortable, macabre and very real.
So do we now live in a society where paternal instincts is becoming less and less of an evolutionary necessity? We no longer need to perpetuate our species at the lengths we do in order to ensure our continued survival. In the last 200 years alone our scientific and medicinal advances have increased our life-spans, our quality of life for a large majority of the populous has gotten better and more prosperous. The industrial revolution alone has meant that large families aren't needed to work on farms and be successors for their ancestors. We have almost eradicated every threat of persistent disease known to us. Infact, a continuation in the rate at which we are multiplying is certainly both, economically and environmentally going to be our downfall. Now this in itself is a fantastic irony. We reproduce, or did reproduce as a means of survival, and there are now so many of us our populous so great that the possibility of the continual support of ourselves is becoming unceasingly impossible. We are consuming all of our natural resources on an unimaginable scale, killing each other in the rate of millions. (Although not at a rate high enough as to levy things out.) Our over inflated ego's and massive sense of self, has propelled the zeitgeist of "the sanctity of life." My friends we don't, or the maybe the zeitgeist is changing. If even slightly.

We are consumed in our lives of bountiful pleasures. Yet increasingly, I read more and more about parents who have horrendously abused their children, neglected them, beat them and in more increasingly extreme cases caused there deaths. I am not discussing the choice of parents to place their children into care, as this can in itself be viewed as an act full of loving intent. The want of a better chance of survival for their offspring. I'm talking of unadulterated evils of humanity towards our own genetic babes. I want to discuss whether this might be just an imagined hypothesis I have is due to increased media coverage. If this is the way of things then what the reason for it are? I find it a very interesting topic for discussion as its uncomfortable, macabre and very real.

RE: De-evolution of the Maternal Instinct
https://atheistforums.org/thread-21931.html
https://atheistforums.org/thread-21930.html
https://atheistforums.org/thread-21929.html

Identical threads merged and closed.
[Image: Evolution.png]