Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Faith = Hate?
Does Faith = Hate?
Does Faith = Hate?

The above is from The American Conservative Sept/Oct issue. Why do they even need to ask this question? How obvious does obvious need to be before it becomes to be taken as a given? Chick-Fil-A, anybody? The Roman church having fits over possibly having to provide birth-control to employees?

From the article: “Interviews with legal scholars, activists, and other social and religious conservatives involved in the fight against same-sex marriage confirm this grim outlook. In the courts, and in the court of public opinion, the momentum towards same-sex marriage has been clear. A consensus is emerging on the right that the most important goal at this stage is not to stop gay marriage entirely but to secure as much liberty as possible for dissenting religious and social conservatives while there is still time.”

In other words, they insist on the right to hate. Since when did the right to hate become something “good, Christian people” feel they should fight for? Of course, they would never word it that way.
They know what is right because The Lord said so. God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

From the article: “Religious schools and charities could suffer penalties such as the loss of government funding or state credentials necessary to operate. They could also have their tax-exempt status taken from them.”

Hey! I finally found something worth praying for! I know it won't work, but still.... 'Tis a consumation devoutly to be wished!

Once more: “The latter actually happened to a group of New Jersey Methodists in the 2007 Ocean Grove case. That state court decision held that the New Jersey government was permitted to withdraw a special tax exemption, tied to public access, from a church-owned pavilion that declined to host two gay commitment ceremonies. What happened next, says Wilson, set an ominous precedent.”

“The local taxing authority then removed the local exemption for ad valorem taxes for the pavilion, and then billed them for back taxes,” she says. “That tax benefit is one of the most substantial benefits religious groups receive from the government. Although the group had elected a local tax status tied to public access, if state and local governments use this as a guide for how to deal with religious organizations that don’t accept same-sex marriage, that could be a big deal.”
Do I dare hope? I have a real problem with religious groups getting away with tax breaks as it is. Why can't the Catholic church pay taxes on all that prime real-estate they own? Religion is racket, plain and simple. If they had to pay what they owe, and that got spent on social service programs, that would be such a help. As it is, the taxpayers have to subsidize these houses of superstition and prejudice.

Russel Moore, the new head of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, is trying to finesse the issue in Washington. “The problem is that Evangelicals have taken a God-and-country, Moral Majority stance for so long, one that assumes the rest of the culture shares our values, and that it’s only small groups of elites out there who are out of step,” Moore says.
“I tell them you have to understand the mindset of the other side,” he contiues. “They see this as the equivalent of the civil rights movement. If the Christian definition of marriage becomes the equivalent of KKK ideology, then religious liberty will be very hard to defend.”
Twice in the last decade, the Supreme Court found that laws restricting gay rights were based entirely on animus and served no rational purpose. If the justices apply this reasoning to the core of marriage law, religious conservatives may well find little asylum outside the walls of their churches.
Let it be so. I always enjoy a little schadenfreude. Cool Shades

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/a...aith-hate/
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

RE: Does Faith = Hate?
If one were to make a general statement, I'd say having faith in a religion, or in a certain opinion, ideology, or a single idea, requires one to feel an innate hate towards the religions, opinions, ideologies and etc. that oppose your ideals.
If you feel indifferent, than you're either not fully committed to your ideology, or you're a hypocrite.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Faith doesn't = hate. Faith just makes it a lot easier to hate others.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 14, 2013 at 11:03 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Faith doesn't = hate. Faith just makes it a lot easier to hate others.
Well, a faith comes with tenets. And any idea that goes against these tenets is to be hated, reviled and banished by those who profess into the said faith.
Same with every idea that exists on earth.
Love for one's own faith/ideals equals how much you hate the opposing ideas.
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I agree that faith is not equal to hate. Blind faith can allow a person to bypass his conscience and express hate, but by the same token it could help a person to develop a conscience that rejects hate. Although I think it is most dangerous in that it can convince a person that his hate is not hate at all, through mechanisms such as "hate the sin, not the sinner."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Most people who ‘seem’ religious, but are filled with hate, are that way not DUE TO their faith, but rather they use their faith to justify their already hateful/bigoted/judgmental attitudes. Much of the Bible for example presents a lot of judgment of others, but it’s worded in such a way to ‘’appear’’ loving. ‘’Correcting’’ people is sometimes misconstrued as loving, in the Bible. So, if you chastise people for being gay, for example, and you are Christian, this is seen as acceptable because the Bible will have a person believing that part of being a ‘loving Christian,’ is to scold and chastise others into obedience. Faith breeds ignorance, if anything. lol
Everyone thinks that hate is a bad thing, while I tend to look at hate in a positive light. Hate is one of the most basic human emotions. Why really hate hate, when hate is what we have built our whole society on?
(November 14, 2013 at 11:19 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Everyone thinks that hate is a bad thing, while I tend to look at hate in a positive light. Hate is one of the most basic human emotions. Why really hate hate, when hate is what we have built our whole society on?

I think it's just seen as a negative emotion, in the same way that love is seen as a positive emotion. Obviously context plays into it; someone who says "I love to hurt people" is likely to have fewer friends than someone who says "I hate it when people are sad."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
DT nailed it. When someone is a 'person of faith', that doesn't automatically make them hateful.

But when any person, irrespective of religion, claims to have cornered the market on Ultimate Truth, it instantly makes it easier for them to view other people as somehow less valuable and more prone to error. It's just a hop from there to hate.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 14, 2013 at 11:16 am)Deidre32 Wrote: Most people who ‘seem’ religious, but are filled with hate, are that way not DUE TO their faith, but rather they use their faith to justify their already hateful/bigoted/judgmental attitudes. Much of the Bible for example presents a lot of judgment of others, but it’s worded in such a way to ‘’appear’’ loving. ‘’Correcting’’ people is sometimes misconstrued as loving, in the Bible. So, if you chastise people for being gay, for example, and you are Christian, this is seen as acceptable because the Bible will have a person believing that part of being a ‘loving Christian,’ is to scold and chastise others into obedience. Faith breeds ignorance, if anything. lol
You make a couple of excellent points. But what about someone who was "brought up" in some given faith their whole life, and pretty much everybody around them shares said faith. There's a lot of that about. They might indeed BE very religious, not seem it, and they've been taught to hate, even if they don't see it as such. But yes, such a situation would very much be breeding ignorance. Smile
ETA:
DT said:Faith doesn't = hate. Faith just makes it a lot easier to hate others.
Yes, you are right. It isn't F = H, it's just something that facilitates it amongst those given to it.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1320 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The problem with "Hate crimes". onlinebiker 25 1179 February 11, 2022 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 873 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1844 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 385 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is Trump Hate Legit or Mob Control? jessieban 37 5504 June 21, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1608 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  This is why people hate America NuclearEnergy 57 13336 September 4, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  No Wonder The Republicunts Will Hate It! Minimalist 1 593 July 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 14980 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne