Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fate of bookstores
The fate of bookstores
Or are there bookstores (plural) left? Borders has closed, and the only 'big box' store left (I think?) is Barnes & Noble. With all the new available reading gadgets on the market, ie: the nook, kindle, etc...what do you think will happen to bookstores, as we know? Do you think they'll eventually close their doors, and online services like amazon and such will be the only games in town?

I still enjoy walking through a book store, large or small, with a warm beverage in hand, smelling the aroma of new books. Violin

Sincerely,
An extremely happy (yet, nostalgic) Kindle Owner
RE: The fate of bookstores
Vanishing breed.
Im the same way but I don't think we're going to win this one. Books will always be available, but you'll have to order from Amazon. I read a newspaper every day, and they're in trouble too.
(November 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: Or are there bookstores (plural) left? Borders has closed, and the only 'big box' store left (I think?) is Barnes & Noble. With all the new available reading gadgets on the market, ie: the nook, kindle, etc...what do you think will happen to bookstores, as we know? Do you think they'll eventually close their doors, and online services like amazon and such will be the only games in town?

I still enjoy walking through a book store, large or small, with a warm beverage in hand, smelling the aroma of new books. Violin

Sincerely,
I'm pretty sure Books-A-Million still exists, and they don't have anything like the Nook. I even know some local bookstores that have found their niche and are doing alright.
Chapters is still around and kicking around this parts.

Books I have to admit causes more environmental harm than good. Digital is the way to go. Although I still prefer to collect my favourites as hardcover books, when it comes to reading new books or textbooks I get digital copies. But there is truly no substitute for reading a book as an actual book, which makes me feel kinda sad because they're always more expensive than digital copies and I can't afford them.
It's when public libraries go all digital that I will truly cry.

I love books...my vision problems make them even more treasured. A bright ass screen is no treat. I guess paper is an anachronism, but you never forget your first love.

Oh, and Playboy centerfolds.
Chapters is becoming more digitally-inclined, but at least those comic books are still there, even though the last time I bought a manga was 3 years ago and western comics (marvel) 4.

The internet is more and more taking over the role of each paperback.
(November 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm)futilethewinds Wrote:
(November 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: Or are there bookstores (plural) left? Borders has closed, and the only 'big box' store left (I think?) is Barnes & Noble. With all the new available reading gadgets on the market, ie: the nook, kindle, etc...what do you think will happen to bookstores, as we know? Do you think they'll eventually close their doors, and online services like amazon and such will be the only games in town?

Sincerely,
I'm pretty sure Books-A-Million still exists, and they don't have anything like the Nook. I even know some local bookstores that have found their niche and are doing alright.

This is a good point, I wonder if this will open up a new avenue for smaller bookstores to find their place. The big box stores might vanish, but the charming little boutique type book shoppes might emerge (or maintain if they haven't closed already), in their place. Not everyone is sold on technology. I happen to really like my kindle, as it can be used for other things, which is nice. I also like some of the book features it has but I do miss ''holding'' a book, sometimes.

(November 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Chapters is still around and kicking around this parts.

Books I have to admit causes more environmental harm than good. Digital is the way to go. Although I still prefer to collect my favourites as hardcover books, when it comes to reading new books or textbooks I get digital copies. But there is truly no substitute for reading a book as an actual book, which makes me feel kinda sad because they're always more expensive than digital copies and I can't afford them.
I still have old classics, in hard cover. I think to myself if there were a fire, I'd probably grab them first before any other prized possessions. lol Books can come to mean something to us. I think you make a hard to ignore point however, about the environment. Very true!

(November 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: It's when public libraries go all digital that I will truly cry.

I love books...my vision problems make them even more treasured. A bright ass screen is no treat. I guess paper is an anachronism, but you never forget your first love.

Oh, and Playboy centerfolds.

I didn't know Playboy was still in business. Shows you what I know. Big Grin You might be surprised with the kindle, it is very user friendly, and there is a dimming component, and a way to adjust the background to go easier on the eyes...if you ever choose to buy one. They're actually pretty cool.

(November 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm)Walking Void Wrote: Chapters is becoming more digitally-inclined, but at least those comic books are still there, even though the last time I bought a manga was 3 years ago and western comics (marvel) 4.

The internet is more and more taking over the role of each paperback.

I forgot all about comic books. Some things shouldn't be digital. Sad

(November 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Vanishing breed.
Sad

(November 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm)_xenu_ Wrote: Im the same way but I don't think we're going to win this one. Books will always be available, but you'll have to order from Amazon. I read a newspaper every day, and they're in trouble too.

Newspapers have tv newscasts to contend with, think that is their main competition, than people being able to read them online. In general, news publications like local papers, and NY Times, etc are suffering also because they have turned into editorials, not solid news sources. (objectively speaking) When I read articles online even, I have to question the credibility, is the pub siding with a particular political party, etc etc etc

Hard to find solid news sources I trust these days.
I read when I eat. My Kindle makes it so much easier because I don't have to do gymnastics to cut my food while I'm trying to hold open a book.

That said, it makes me sad that paper books are becoming obsolete. I hope they don't go extinct... I do love to collect my favorites.
Used bookstores are where it's at. A city a short distance from my old college town had a couple of such places, there's also one close where I am presently located. Book fairs - go to these as well, again more used books but it's awesome. The last book fair I went to, I bought like 7 books for eleven dollars. I hardly buy new ones because of the prices, and spending over 200 bucks for a kindle is kinda out of the question.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The idea of Fate/predetermination sarcasticgeographer 20 6860 June 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Faith No More