Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctor Who Anagram
Doctor Who Anagram
[Image: 67ed23b6cadcc9484817a81683cae61f.jpg]

Yes, my mind is now officially blown.
RE: Doctor Who Anagram
Yeah, that was why the spin-off got that name. In fact, if I remember aright, the 2005 nu-Who series was referred to in production as Torchwood to deflect spoilers.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Oh my goodness, did you JUST figure that out?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(November 17, 2013 at 1:29 am)Stimbo Wrote: In fact, if I remember aright, the 2005 nu-Who series was referred to in production as Torchwood to deflect spoilers.

That's right! In fact, Doctor Who does a lot of anagram work: when casting companions they've at least once called the project Panic Moon, which is an anagram of... well. Tongue

Anyway, the anniversary special is almost upon us! Can we talk about that? Tongue Anyone see Night of the Doctor, yet?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I thought this was common knowledge amongst Whovians. Oh well.

(November 17, 2013 at 1:29 am)Stimbo Wrote: Yeah, that was why the spin-off got that name. In fact, if I remember aright, the 2005 nu-Who series was referred to in production as Torchwood to deflect spoilers.
Technically, the spin-off got that name because it was about the Torchwood Institute, which had already featured in Doctor Who on a number of occasions. The institute was named "Torchwood" by Queen Victoria after Torchwood House, which she was staying in when she met the Doctor and was attacked by an alien werewolf. But yes, the name "Torchwood" came from an anagram of "Doctor Who".
While all true about Torchwood House and all, that comes from in-universe backstory. RTD began with the anagrammatised word, created the idea for the spinoff, then worked it into DW in an echo of the "Bad Wolf" meme thing the previous year.

Yeah, I was alerted to Night Of The Doctor by a guy on my FB wall who does amazing action figure animated stories. I was definitely not expecting Who was in it, I have to say!

Also, I really like the official trailer for the 50th, with all the Doctors and all those blink and miss 'em details. How many have we all spotted? I only hope the actual episode lives up to the promise.

Has anyone seen the trailer for the "An Adventure In Space And Time"? I'd seen on-set photos of the principal cast in costume but seeing them in action, I have to say the casting is nothing short of genius.

The Brian Cox "Science Of Doctor Who" thing looks good, too.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 17, 2013 at 7:45 am)Esquilax Wrote: That's right! In fact, Doctor Who does a lot of anagram work: when casting companions they've at least once called the project Panic Moon, which is an anagram of... well. Tongue

Back in the 'classic' days, the eighties mainly, whenever the Master appeared in a story either he would have some anagrammatised or otherwise 'translated' character name (Sir Gilles Estram; the Portreeve) or the actor, Anthony Ainley, would be billed anagrammatically (Neil Toynay - Tony Ainley; James Stoker - Master's Joke). Even the character played by Ainley who became the Master, Tremas, was an anagram. Mind you, earlier seasons touched on this at least once - in "The Daemons", the Master was in disguise as a country vicar named Mr Magister, latin for..?

Then we had a scientist character called Dastari ("a TARDIS"). Even the Daleks were retroactively turned into anagrams of sorts of their race, the Kaleds.
I guess I'm just a newbie fan and don't have the deep understanding of the shows past. Thanks all for the background.
How didn't you know this? When Torchwood was first announced it was a thing. It was the first thing anyone knew about it. "They're going to make a Doctor Who spin off and the title is an anagram of "Doctor Who"" was a thing before anyone had even seen it.

Plus it's obvious. It's not like it's hidden or anything. Or maybe that's just my anagram thing doing its thing. I love anagrams. My username is one. lol

I even thought Clara Oswin Oswald being an anagram of "A Window Across All" would be a thing. I guess that almost makes sense in a way, but apparently it wasn't intentional.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hanging With Doctor Z Fake Messiah 0 247 March 16, 2021 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Doctor Who Christmas special 2017 pocaracas 20 3182 November 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Video Average Master & Doctor Who Aractus 0 637 January 4, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Doctor Who, Season Nine Foxaèr 114 13949 December 10, 2015 at 12:25 am
  The Doctor makes fans day at the Doctor Who Experience Cyberman 3 1311 March 31, 2015 at 2:49 pm
  Re-live the 11th Doctor in 16-bit! Aractus 0 923 March 26, 2014 at 5:21 am
  Doctor Who s08 Foxaèr 25 3732 November 28, 2013 at 3:22 am
  Doctor Who Theme: Orbital's Version Edwardo Piet 0 1243 March 6, 2009 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet