Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is 'god' or 'gods'?
What is 'god' or 'gods'?
What the title says. It always troubled me that there are people 'attempting' to prove god(s) without even defining the thing. I have seen enough of theistic rethoric here, all to prove that they argue for a god that is quite relative to their own subjective view. All this claiming an objective morality.

So yeah, !define god and I relax watching the religionists kill eachother over it Popcorn
RE: What is 'god' or 'gods'?
They'll just say something like the human mind can't even begin to comprehend the nature of our god, etc etc
(November 20, 2013 at 8:45 am)Sejanus Wrote: They'll just say something like the human mind can't even begin to comprehend the nature of our god, etc etc

Yes which makes it a gibberish concept.
The question is for atheists too. IMO god(s) is/are unknown, a concept with so many sparse definitions to begin with, to even begin to take it seriously.
Gods are whatever the believer needs them to be. They are the distorted reflection of one's own fears and prejudices writ large and projected onto the Universe. But above all they are useful.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
On monotheist religions, god seems to be the entity that caused the whole Universe to exist. The creator.

On polytheist religions, each god is in charge of a particular aspect of Nature and can bend that aspect to its will... although, it ends up working in predictable ways, leading to the invention of scientific laws, or rules which the Natural world seems to always obey.

On works of fiction, god or gods are the omniscient narrator(s).
(November 20, 2013 at 8:52 am)LastPoet Wrote: The question is for atheists too. IMO god(s) is/are unknown, a concept with so many sparse definitions to begin with, to even begin to take it seriously.
G/god/s, deities, super natural beings are gibberish concepts and merely childish reflections of human desires.
God could be defined as the metaphysically ultimate being.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
Whatever you want it/them to be.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: God could be defined as the metaphysically ultimate being.

This defines nothing.

"Ultimate". "Ultimately" I'd like to have sex with hot chicks everyday without getting turned down.

"Ultimately" Yahweh is the one true god.
"Ultimately" The God of Jesus is the one true god.
"Ultimately" Allah is the one true god.
"Ultimately" my invisible snarfwidget is the one true god.

"Ultimate" explains nothing and defines nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20885 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2432 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10766 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2002 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3609 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12700 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  A Thousand Gods? chimp3 22 2870 October 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 15763 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why did we stop inventing gods? Greatest I am 58 5758 August 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Disproving gods with history and science dyresand 10 3187 June 30, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb