Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DrWho 50th Special
DrWho 50th Special
Okay, so if you haven't seen the special yet you may as well stop reading to avoid spoilers.

Where to begin?

I'm not disappointed that Eccleston decline to reprise his role for 2 main reasons: 1. his doctor wasn't that great and is easily forgettable and 2. There's no point in crowding the episode with too many incarnations at once.

I am a little annoyed that they chose to give McGann a very minor reprisal in the form of a prequel, and didn't give him a role in the special itself. I actually believed that his prequel was filmed specifically to allow them to insert him into the special by stealth (which is exactly what they should have done). Just one or two shots showing McGann's doctor fighting in the time war would have been all they needed. It would have set the background so perfectly for the 9th doctor's "travelling".

But with that said, it was a good performance, and Tennant and Smith worked very well together. Having Eccleston in there would have crowded the performance - and even if he would have been the "war doctor", it still would not have been as great as having someone fresh play the incarnation of what was previously known as "Valeyard". I am a fan of John Hurt and his performance was great.

All the die hard fans should now be somewhat satisfied that all the regeneration scenes - to the 12th doctor (counting chronologically) are now complete. Personally I think McGann deserved better. He really should get a series in that ends with the begging of the time-war.

I am also hoping that Capaldi's doctor will be the last and final doctor of this era. If he is it allows the series to begin again, and for up to 700 stories to be retold (/remake'd) again, including genesis of the daleks which could be done very differently next time, etc.

The final thing I will say is that Baker has a new character, and I think we'll see his character return sometime during Capaldi's adventures.

I am much, much more satisfied with this episode than with some of Mofatt's other offerings, and I hope that he sees sense in planning the next seasons....
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor Who Christmas special 2017 pocaracas 20 3172 November 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  This took me back to a special place. ignoramus 1 475 January 5, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Something Special Rayaan 1 891 November 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: festive1
  Bill Maher's Internet Comedy Special Minimalist 3 2980 February 28, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Minimalist