Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London School of Economics and Free Speech Row
London School of Economics and Free Speech Row
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...iversities

Long story, short, the University's atheist and humanist society decided to wear t-shirts during a fresher's fair that depicted good ol' Moe and Jesus having a chinwag talking about religion.

Nothing offensive about it at all...except if you're one of the Univeristy's guild staff who, fearing reprisals from Muslims in London who might get 'offended' by this, decided to ban it, and all references to Islam and Mohammed.

Silliness! But it's becoming a theme here recently where religious sensibilities are beginning to trump freedom of speech to criticise and critique.

I posted about it on FB and got a reply from one of my Muslim friends:

Muslim Friend: "Havent read the article. But I cant see how free speech can be used to justify offending someone.

If there is free speech then why should there be any restriction. E.g. racism isnt that free speech? Or making it more personal e.g. attacks directly at someones family shouldnt free speech be used as a justificatiin then?

Rather than harping on about free speech people should not try going about to offending others but pay consideration to others feelings."

Friend 2: "Free Speech is one of my most deeply held principles and I demand an apology for your attempt to smear it with racism, which has deeply offended me.

[Image: 1466098_10151747790000965_229820039_n.jpg]
You see what this leads to? Madness."

Me: nobody has a right not to be offended. Nobody has a right equally to shout fire in a crowded theatre, or indeed to be racist. But since when is Islam a race? It's just a belief, and as a belief, I can ridicule, poke fun, and criticise all I want. If I want to say 'Fuck stupid religious beliefs, including Islam.' Then I should be allowed to.

If you're offended by that, unfortunately it's your problem, not mine. Offence is taken, not given.

Me: Indeed, your implication of offence has offended me. Please apologise.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: London School of Economics and Free Speech Row
I am sick of people who are afraid of Muslims to the point where they have to baby these people and cover their eyes from depictions of their own religion, criticism or otherwise. Where is that god damn Wambulance.
I'm glad to see the French cracking down on this muslim bullshit. Maybe someday soon the Brits will grow a pair of balls?
(November 25, 2013 at 11:02 am)Minimalist Wrote: I'm glad to see the French cracking down on this muslim bullshit. Maybe someday soon the Brits will grow a pair of balls?

Issue is that a lot of the political class on the left here are almost held to ransom by the sensibility police. LSE has a history of alignment to the left. Coupled with the fact it's in central London and you probably start to see why the fear of reprisals mixed with the ideological cause of inclusion at whatever cost (which is what I believe this boils down tp) has led to this shirtstorm.

And note this is only about a few guys and girls wearing a t-shirt. They weren't chanting death to muslims or anything like that, which is actually what some muslims did in response to this a few months back.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Quote:Issue is that a lot of the political class on the left here are almost held to ransom by the sensibility police.

That can go out the window in a hurry. People have to get tired of being dictated to by "guests" in their own country.
Oh hell no! Shit like this vexes me to no end! You don't have to be tolerant of others (just be prepared to back up your opinions somehow, especially if they're strong ones). Somehow cultures and traditions are revered because they're 'exotic' or 'we have always done like this!', but that doesn't make them any more valid. Faith and beliefs even less so. On the topic of Muslims for instance, the ridiculous notion that you can't eat pork, because the pig is a 'filthy' animal. That's absolute bull and anyone with some knowledge in food hygiene knows that the parasitic worm, that can be carried by pigs, dies when the flesh is cooked in at least 70oC for 7 minutes (and less if the temperature is higher). No topic is holy, everything and anything can be questioned, and if it can't stand up to scrutiny it's most definitely not the fault of the one pointing the flaws out. Boo for London School of Economics!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

You know what, if they don't want to eat pork that's fine. Fuck 'em. Who cares?

But when they walk around telling other people how to live in their own fucking country it is time to push back on the fuckers.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/jan/190...london.htm

Quote:'Muslim Patrol' demand women cover up in London
Locals are being terrorised by a gang of hooded men who confiscate alcohol and order women to cover up in Muslim neighbourhoods
Yeah, I saw a video a while back regarding that particular topic, and frankly it scares me that local law enforcement does nothing about it.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I'd like to think that, were I a Muslim, I'd be offended by the idea that people have to be banned from wearing a t-shirt because someone is afraid that it will be offensive to me, and I will lose my mind over it. I suppose there must be some Muslims who would agree with that sentiment.
Quote:I'd like to think that, were I a Muslim,

I could never be a muslim. A thought-stifling creed fit for sheep. At least a lot of xtians just pay lip service to xtianity but these fuckers treat it as if it were real.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11423 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1346 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  School bible circle ShirkahnW 9 1153 November 20, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Mass shooting in a school? Need God. Mass shooting in a church?.... Chad32 54 11597 November 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Theists: How can predetermined fate and free will coexist? AceBoogie 252 28284 January 9, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Satanists to give invocation at high school football game jenny1972 28 6511 October 29, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: MentalGiant
Bug Religion in school Supermanbeer 19 4432 October 29, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Free Will, Decision making and religion FreeTony 57 14745 March 16, 2015 at 9:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Free speech Eager Mind 37 7435 February 1, 2015 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Free Will and Loving/Rejecting God Nope 126 29360 January 26, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman