Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challenging the Atheist belief
Challenging the Atheist belief
Question.

I'll first say, I do not follow a particular religion, but I do believe in a creator or God or higher power or whatever you'd like to name it.

The reason I believe there is a creator is, there is so much intelligence within life, that it seems it points to the idea that it must have come from somewhere.

And the question I always ask people who believe in atheism is: Why does sex feel good?

Seems simple. But really, it's more complex that it may seem. Why is it that the area of the body that feels best when stimulated is also the area that is responsible for reproduction? For example, why isn't it the elbow that feels amazing and produces a feeling like an orgasm when rubbed? And why is it that we have hormones that make us horny? Well, it seems that the reason sex feels good and we have hormones that make us want to have sex is to give incentive to humans and animals to participate. And it just so happens that the result of sex is the continuation of life. If there is no God or creator or higher power, where does this intelligence come from? Where does ALL the intelligence in life come from, such as love and hate?

Isn't it possible that there is a God or whatever you'd like to call it, only it doesn't exist as a man in the sky or any form that most religions might describe it by that this intelligence originates from?
RE: Challenging the Atheist belief
(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: Isn't it possible that there is a God?

Nope.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: And the question I always ask people who believe in atheism is: Why does sex feel good?

Seems simple. But really, it's more complex that it may seem. Why is it that the area of the body that feels best when stimulated is also the area that is responsible for reproduction? For example, why isn't it the elbow that feels amazing and produces a feeling like an orgasm when rubbed? And why is it that we have hormones that make us horny? Well, it seems that the reason sex feels good and we have hormones that make us want to have sex is to give incentive to humans and animals to participate. And it just so happens that the result of sex is the continuation of life.
You just answered your own question. Clap
(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: If there is no God or creator or higher power, where does this intelligence come from?
Or...not. Deadpan The answer is evolution. There is no evolutionary advantage to elbow orgasms, but there is to ones associated with reproduction. This should make sense if you have a basic understanding of evolution. Or am I assuming too much?
(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: Isn't it possible that there is a God or whatever you'd like to call it, only it doesn't exist as a man in the sky or any form that most religions might describe it by that this intelligence originates from?
Why solve a mystery by unnecessarily introducing a bigger mystery? That is, if it were a mystery, anyway.

Also, I don't think this is the appropriate area to post this question.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: Question.

The reason I believe there is a creator is, there is so much intelligence within life, that it seems it points to the idea that it must have come from somewhere.

Must it have?! Why? To me, that is the definition of counterintuitive.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
My initial reaction to this thread is the obvious - what exactly is 'the' atheist belief? (My second is why the need to capitalise the word 'atheist' anyway, but that's rather more obvious.)

However, to take your question head on:

(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: And the question I always ask people who believe in atheism is: Why does sex feel good?

Um... to make people want to do it? Why should this be such a big mystery?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 26, 2013 at 12:12 am)Natedeezy Wrote: Question.

I'll first say, I do not follow a particular religion, but I do believe in a creator or God or higher power or whatever you'd like to name it.

And the question I always ask people who believe in atheism is: Why does sex feel good?

Seems simple. But really, it's more complex that it may seem. Why is it that the area of the body that feels best when stimulated is also the area that is responsible for reproduction? For example, why isn't it the elbow that feels amazing and produces a feeling like an orgasm when rubbed? And why is it that we have hormones that make us horny? Well, it seems that the reason sex feels good and we have hormones that make us want to have sex is to give incentive to humans and animals to participate. And it just so happens that the result of sex is the continuation of life. If there is no God or creator or higher power, where does this intelligence come from? Where does ALL the intelligence in life come from, such as love and hate?

Isn't it possible that there is a God or whatever you'd like to call it, only it doesn't exist as a man in the sky or any form that most religions might describe it by that this intelligence originates from?

It encourages species to propagate if the act is enjoyable.

That was easy.

Oh, and I don't have a religious belief, as such. I have a lack of belief in deities.

ANd, finally, is it possible that a deity exists? Yes, in the multiverse, pretty much anything is possible. That doesn't automatically assume that it or they do exist. Without evidence of their existence I'll stick with not believing.
Dying to live, living to die.
Why must it come from elsewhere? Because you can't think of a solution? I know you're new and stuff but dude, if you think it must be god every time you're stumped you think rather highly of yourself.
Sex feels good because our bodies are so fucking smart they figured out how to enjoy fucking so they could procreate with some fucking pleasure. (too much? I think not). We gotta do it to continue the species. just as well that our bodies found a way to enjoy it. But I seem to remember that most times in the bible sex is an act just for procreation, not for pleasure. Guys did it to bust a nut to knock up their wives, not to bust a nut because it felt good. Although don't quote me on this as I'm no bible expert by any stretch of the imagination.

That leads to a question of my own for you... do you think cellular reproduction is orgasmic at that level as well?

As to the existence question.
No, I know the truth hurts, but God(s) does not exist. Never did, never will, except in the minds and hearts of humanity.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
I think the point you all are missing is, where does this intelligence come from?

Evolution, yes, but evolution is a more macro form of the intelligence that I described related to sex, and this intelligence seems to be deeply imbedded into life. Where does this come from? It just magically appeared from nothing? If so where did nothingness, the forum for something to exist in come from? Can't you see that the argument for intelligence just existing is kind of not logical, which logic seems to be the root of atheism.

Let me ask you this. We perceive the world through our 5 senses, yet we understand that things exist outside the perception of our senses, dog whistles for example. No person has heard a dog whistle because we cannot hear on that frequency level, and so the understanding that this frequency exists is based on a belief since we've never heard it. Same is true for light. And so isn't it possible that there exists something beyond the limitation of our human perception? Well, the answer is of course, yes. The example about sound describes it.

In addition to this, there are so many unexplainable stories related to NDE's, such as a woman who has been blind since birth seeing in her NDE, or people hearing conversations from others on totally different floors of hospitals, or atheists who change to believe in God, all of these again point to, at the very least, the possibility that something greater than YOU exists.

And so the existence of this possibility that atheists choose to ignore confuses me, again, since atheism seems to be based so heavily in logic.
Derp a derp derp.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6340 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5562 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81301 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5215 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22121 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160437 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1667 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 361704 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Is Lack of Belief the Best You Can Do? Neo-Scholastic 259 36020 April 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 14478 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor