Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"A Manual for Creating Atheists" - ordered it
"A Manual for Creating Atheists" - ordered it
Yesterday, I came across a reference to this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Creating-At...1939578094

and ordered it today. Turns out the author is a philosophy professor at a university about 20 minutes from where I live.

As I understand it, the thesis of the book is

1. religion is a dangerous societal poison
2. believers are infected with a mind virus
3. using the Socratic method, perhaps they can be persuaded out of their dangerous beliefs and cured of the virus
4. Maybe being mean isn't the best approach to help the virus host

Being a mean atheist myself, I kinda like the minimalist-esque "you're a fucktard" approach. It does appeal. So, point #4 intrigues me, in a thought-experiment sort of way.

But, here, by reading this book, I am opening my horizons. Or maybe I'll go back to my mean atheist ways, become a street-evangelizing atheist, shouting through a bullhorn at Christmas shoppers.

"God ain't real you know! It's all made-up dumbass! It's pronounced cruci-FICTION!!"

Yeah, that guy.

Hard to have a discussion on epistemology with a bullhorn, but I'm willing to give it go. It's for the Benefit of Society after all.
RE: "A Manual for Creating Atheists" - ordered it
I heard this guy interviewed the other day on a podcast. I was tempted to pick it up myself. He seemed pretty chill. Might order it to read over the hols.
Well, if you want someone to practice on.

Tell you what. Try it the old way (calling me a fucktard) til you've read the book. Then try it the other way (if its still necessary).
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Why do adults need a manual on creating atheists? You still don't know where babies come from?
(November 27, 2013 at 5:57 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Try it the old way (calling me a fucktard) til you've read the book. Then try it the other way (if its still necessary).

I don't know why, but I laughed at this.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN9xuDBwZEDHDxhBVmxKC...HpIXKndujw]
(November 27, 2013 at 5:57 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Well, if you want someone to practice on.

Tell you what. Try it the old way (calling me a fucktard) til you've read the book. Then try it the other way (if its still necessary).

OK, you're a fucktard.

Did that work? Thinking
(November 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(November 27, 2013 at 5:57 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Well, if you want someone to practice on.

OK, you're a fucktard.

Did that work? Thinking
Actually I do feel different...

Wait, no, that's heartburn.

Try it in caps and with emoticons.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(November 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: Yesterday, I came across a reference to this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Creating-At...1939578094

and ordered it today. Turns out the author is a philosophy professor at a university about 20 minutes from where I live.

As I understand it, the thesis of the book is

1. religion is a dangerous societal poison
2. believers are infected with a mind virus
3. using the Socratic method, perhaps they can be persuaded out of their dangerous beliefs and cured of the virus
4. Maybe being mean isn't the best approach to help the virus host

Being a mean atheist myself, I kinda like the minimalist-esque "you're a fucktard" approach. It does appeal. So, point #4 intrigues me, in a thought-experiment sort of way.

But, here, by reading this book, I am opening my horizons. Or maybe I'll go back to my mean atheist ways, become a street-evangelizing atheist, shouting through a bullhorn at Christmas shoppers.

"God ain't real you know! It's all made-up dumbass! It's pronounced cruci-FICTION!!"

Yeah, that guy.

Hard to have a discussion on epistemology with a bullhorn, but I'm willing to give it go. It's for the Benefit of Society after all.

Hey from a fellow Portlander!

I just finished this book this weekend; I thought it was interesting, though I think the word "Manual" in the title is a bit misleading. "Manual" to me means more like an instruction manual, but the book came across more like the opening lecture of a class you should take: "Here's the general idea, and over the course of the next ten weeks..."

Part of what I found interesting was that I kind of already do a lot of what he suggests; his main point is to simply question people about their beliefs in order to understand their position. I don't do this to talk people out of anything, I do it because I don't often feel like I know what I'm talking about and it's a great way to engage in a conversation on a topic you're not very well informed on :p

What I don't do is all the follow up stuff he suggests: the pointing out of the inconsistencies in reasoning, the harping on faith, and that kind of thing. He suggests not spouting off facts but keeping the conversation squarely on faith and whether it's a reliable way to come to truth. IN that respect I might give it a try, especially since I'm not super great at recalling religious factoids or statistic or quotes or specific arguments or that kind of thing. Anything so I don't have to crash-memorize bible passages.

If anything, I think someone could read this and use it to help evaluate themselves and make sure that they are reasoning well themselves, it doesn't necessarily have to be about making atheists. And in any case that's really only plausible with people you frequently interact with and see on a decently regular basis in order to sufficiently undermine their idea that faith is good.

I thought it was worth the $10 for the kindle book; I plan on reading it again... after I get through all the other books I just bought... Smile
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
MORE Oregonians? Big Grin
Oh my gawd... he's so smart and handsome... and married Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2196 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I am a pixieist, what do you think of my proof that universe creating pixies exist? Simon Moon 69 10789 November 13, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Expired
  Street Epistemology / Dr Peter Boghossian / A Manual For Creating Atheists mralstoner 0 1666 July 1, 2013 at 2:49 am
Last Post: mralstoner