Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living with less money
Living with less money
I don't really understand the opposition that some of the left-wing people on these boards have against living with less money. Sometimes when I point out that Americans, almost across the boards economically, are capable of living with less than they currently have I have been viciously (and sometimes personally) attacked. The fact is that the poor in this country have a living standard that would be considered absurdly good in most countries. The fact that our 'poor' tend towards obesity should speak to the fact that everyone can live with less. I personally have lived on 3000 dollars a year for the last 4 years. If you own a car, I really can't consider you poor.

At one point in the 60's there was a large segment of liberal thought that said we should live with less, but today the reverse it true. The idea that people should live simply is out the window and everything is about money, how much money everyone has and how to get other peoples money, and how the underclasses would be happier if only they have a little bit more money. Meanwhile the western lifestyle destroys the environment, causes wars across the world, and ultimately doesn't make anyone happy. If you are unhappy with the money that you have, more is not going to make you happier. We need to switch our mentality to living with less. Eventually we will have to anyway, as the environment and economy both collapse. It's time to shift our mentality, get rid of our cars and learn to live within our means.

Edit: Just realized that it's Black Friday, please don't go out and buy a bunch of worthless shit that you don't need.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Living with less money
I do live with less money.

In my thirty-four years on this planet, I have never owned an automobile.

The most expensive thing I ever had was a PS3, till I came upon hard times where I lost most everything and had to pawn the gaming system.

Currently, I live in a small motel room. I own one pair of jeans and a couple shirts. The most expensive thing I own is the laptop computer that is years old.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 29, 2013 at 6:41 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I do live with less money.

In my thirty-four years on this planet, I have never owned an automobile.

The most expensive thing I ever had was a PS3, till I came upon hard times where I lost most everything and had to pawn the gaming system.

Currently, I live in a small motel room. I own one pair of jeans and a couple shirts. The most expensive thing I own is the laptop computer that is years old.

Are you happy? Would owning more things make you happy?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(November 29, 2013 at 6:42 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Are you happy? Would owning more things make you happy?

I am not as happy as I could be, but I am smart enough to understand that materialism does not necessarily equate to happiness.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I spend a fortune on consumables: excellent food and alcohol, tickets to movies, plays, music (I'm an opera buff, and that gets expensive). I also spend a staggering amount of money on books. I see absolutely no reason to curtail this behavior, since I can afford it.

Other than that, I sew or knit almost all of our clothes (hence we look like we spend a lot on clothes, because I'm good at it), we almost built our house by ourselves, and we aren't into buying fancy shit.

I'd love to get rid of the car- I ride my bike as often as I can. It's not feasible for us, though. If you live in a city with good, reliable public transportation, be thankful for it.
So, Capn, where are you living that rent costs you less than $3,000 a year? I'm sorry you got evicted from the van, btw. It does sound like a fun and free lifestyle, and I'm a little jealous you did that. If I didn't have the antichrist (my cat), I'd probably do something similar. Although, sometimes sacrifices have to be made and I'm hungry. Kung Pao Kitty, anyone?

(November 29, 2013 at 6:49 pm)Zazzy Wrote: I'd love to get rid of the car- I ride my bike as often as I can. It's not feasible for us, though. If you live in a city with good, reliable public transportation, be thankful for it.

Public transport in San Diego county is sub par, to be extremely generous, if you live outside of the city limits. For years, though, I had my legs, bike, and 50cc scooter that gets 95 miles to the gallon. When I enrolled in classes downtown, I had to get a car. It's an '02 Camry that gets about 35 MPG. I prefer the bike, scooter, and legs, though Smile
I have owned vehicles, homes, a personal music studio with all the toys, much gold and diamond jewelry, etc. and I have literally had assets in the multi-millions, but nothing compares with the peace and contentment I feel from having rid my life of all such frivolities. Now, I have a decent job making a fair wage. I drive a 30 year old car (It's not a classic and it's the only vehicle I now own). My wife and I live in a modest studio apartment, and I'm happier than I've ever been. I live on approximately 20% of my own modest income and the rest goes to savings and the rare, but occasionally expensive six pack of beer. I have not shopped for a Christmas gift since my children left the house, and my wife and I do not exchange gifts. We are one another's gift all year long, and now that I have the best gift ever, there's no way I would ever exchange it, even for all of the money in the world.
That's so sweet, FFF Heart

I love how much you love your wife.
(November 29, 2013 at 7:05 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: That's so sweet, FFF Heart

I love how much you love your wife.
Thanks. I find it pays reciprocal rewards. Plus, it doesn't hurt that she's a complete friggin hottie Big Grin
While I certainly agree that most of us spend money on things we could easily do without, some people have responsibilities that extend beyond them self. How would you feel if you needed urgent medical treatment but were told that all the doctors in the hospital had decided they only wanted to work 4 weeks of the year and had fucked off travelling? What about the farmers that grow your food? How about he drivers that use those unnecessary, environmentally harmful vehicles to deliver the things you [i]do[i] buy with your $3000 dollars a year?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that your entire lifestyle is dependant on the work of those whose lifestyles you criticize.

Why would getting rid of cars make things any better?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Have Less than One Year ZoomerTrumper 4 365 February 26, 2024 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Removing treatment by democratic consensus as default (living wills) Duty 25 1177 October 7, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Voting living in no man's land. Brian37 4 595 November 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Americans supporting sexual misconduct survivors even less than before? Rev. Rye 6 951 October 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One Less Cunt In The White House Minimalist 0 357 June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4251 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1035 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Goddammit, We Paid Good Money For You Whores! Minimalist 13 907 September 23, 2017 at 7:22 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Take away money from PP and Food stamps to fund border wall NuclearEnergy 72 13557 July 18, 2017 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Less than a day goes by... BrianSoddingBoru4 36 9404 May 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: henryp