Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is timeless
God is timeless
"God is timeless" is something Christians spout all the time. Along with "God is both inside and outside time"

What does it even mean? Whenever I've asked for clarification none is given, they just expect you to accept this with no explanation. I'm coming at this with a background in physics.

Time is very difficult to understand and as far as I'm aware no one really does, though plenty of work is being done to establish it. It could well be that time is just an illusion.

I just don't understand what they can possibly mean. Anyone clear it up, or am I thinking about it in too much depth and it's just pseudo-scientific garbage with no meaning at all?
RE: God is timeless
God doesn't own a watch?
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Pardon my sincerity, i means they are pulling bullshit out of their ass.
Dr Who clears it up for us.

Nice one!
Sum ergo sum
Quote:It could well be that time is just an illusion.

Time is a human construct. Just like 'god.'

But time is more useful.
Welcome It's right up there with "No one can know the thoughts of God" and yet Christians not only claim to know what God wants, but God is apparently telling each one of them something different. i.e. it's bullshit.
(December 3, 2013 at 9:50 am)FreeTony Wrote: "God is timeless" is something Christians spout all the time. Along with "God is both inside and outside time"

What does it even mean? Whenever I've asked for clarification none is given, they just expect you to accept this with no explanation. I'm coming at this with a background in physics.

Time is very difficult to understand and as far as I'm aware no one really does, though plenty of work is being done to establish it. It could well be that time is just an illusion.

I just don't understand what they can possibly mean. Anyone clear it up, or am I thinking about it in too much depth and it's just pseudo-scientific garbage with no meaning at all?

Time start ticking as the creation start.
If the creation has been going on for ever then the time has been going on for ever.
That however has no relevance on God status and equipoise.
It is like the ocean.
The water evaporate creating a continuum but the ocean rest unaffected so time has no relevance and does not exist for the core of this ocean of consciousness. Cool Shades
It doesn't mean anything, as I'm sure the OP knows.

If a 'god' is outside of time and space, then by definition it is impossible to know that.

You can take Enrico's post above mine as a great example of how making shit up as you go along is really the only explanation as to how they've arrived at a conclusion that is impossible to conclude.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(December 3, 2013 at 11:13 am)Minimalist Wrote: Time is a human construct. Just like 'god.'

But time is more useful.

I go to churches all the time, and everyone is surprised that I ain't burned entering their lord's 'house'. Perhaps they have erected a very nice buiding using experience, and over here in europe, its great to observe the gothic & roman arches on the architecture the history in it, not the hocus-pocus someone tyries to sell.
(December 3, 2013 at 11:35 am)enrico Wrote: Time start ticking as the creation start.
If the creation has been going on for ever then the time has been going on for ever.
That however has no relevance on God status and equipoise.
It is like the ocean.
The water evaporate creating a continuum but the ocean rest unaffected so time has no relevance and does not exist for the core of this ocean of consciousness.
Cool story bro. Tell it again.
(December 3, 2013 at 11:44 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: You can take Enrico's post above mine as a great example of how making shit up as you go along is really the only explanation as to how they've arrived at a conclusion that is impossible to conclude.
BINGO!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19320 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie