Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from northern Wisconsin
Greetings from northern Wisconsin
I'm getting a bit tired of the religion on the other forums I am a member of, so I did a google search for atheist forums and POOF! Hope to meet some like-minded folks here.

I was raised outside of religion and encouraged to ask questions and study religions for myself. It was never a big deal for me until high school when someone asked me if I believe in god. I asked in return, "Which one?" and when pushed for an answer said no. Very soon after that my locker was trashed and I was very publicly taunted for my lack of belief. In college, I studied more. I read several holy books from several different religions. I joined religious discussion groups. I found out I was an atheist. That's when I met my husband, and through going to the discussions with me and talking on our own we found out he had the same mindset (despite being submerged in fundamental baptist goo his entire life). We married, to the outrage of his family, and are now raising two little freethinkers of our own.

I could tell you stories about religious people that would curl your hair. Had a lot of bad experiences, even though I've never been very "militant" in my atheism until lately. There are A LOT of misconceptions about atheists in general. I have very few friends as a result of being honest when someone asks about my beliefs. I know I should be true to myself, but it's really difficult sometimes. Lonely. I only know one other atheist in real life, and she lives 10 hours away.

I hope to change that here. I'm sick of being so isolated in my rationality. So... thanks for having me here.

If you'd like to know more about me, I have a blog called The Atheist Homesteader.
RE: Greetings from northern Wisconsin
Welcome

Do you like Legos™?

I think you'll find a lot here to build on. Lock-in and form something great.

Edit to add: Click HERE and see rule number 5. Have fun Smile
Welcome!
Hello.

Must be cold in Northern Wisconsin right now?
Welcome to our little corner of the web.

Get yourself an avatar. We like putting a picture to the name. (It makes us feel more secure in ourselves :p )
[Image: Evolution.png]

Welcome NectarNook.
Cheers!
Hey there!
Welcome and enjoy the forum people! Smile
Welcome.
Hello! Welcome to the forums
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 776 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1196 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 815 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1295 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1265 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1291 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2804 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 1026 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm