Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men are happier with attractive women
Men are happier with attractive women
I don't know if anyone has come across the HuffPo article which said that men whose wives they find attractive are generally happier than those whose wives they don't consider attractive, whereas for women, it doesn't seem to matter as much, meaning that her husband's perceived attractiveness level has less of an effect on her happiness. In other words, men are apparently happier in their marriages if their wives are attractive to them. Men care about looks more than women do. 450 newlywed couples were tracked over a period of 4 years.

When I read it, it bothered me, for several reasons.

Attraction is highly subjective, which makes the study meaningless.

The study was done over just 4 years, which I don't think is long enough, and therefore I don't feel that the results are accurate. Perhaps if they had done it over 10, maybe 15 years it could have some validity, but even so, the premise is that a woman's looks are an important factor in a man's happiness, so probably not.

It objectifies women.

It reinforces the gender stereotype that women aren't supposed to care about men's physical attractiveness, when in fact they often do. Some women may be open to a man of average looks if he has a decent personality, but does that mean that women don't care at all about a man's looks? Why shouldn't she?

It implies that women don't care about chemistry (of which physical attraction is often a key part). Chemistry is important, but the study seems to be saying that only men care about it.

It perpetuates the idea in society that men are superficial and shallow, as though the way his wife looks would make any significant difference to him.

The belief (stereotype) that women are supposed to be deeper than men is reinforced, when in fact many women are shallow, and don't live up the the stereotype of being sugar, spice and all things nice, nor should they. I think all stereotypes are damaging, whether they are lived up to or not. I know loads of women who won't date a guy unless he has a certain look, not that that's a good thing, but neither is the stereotype that they must behave according to gender norms.

Women nowadays have thankfully broken away from a lot of stereotypes, but this study seems like a step backwards since it puts pressure on women to preoccupy themselves even more on how they look to a man.

It places far too much importance on looking good for a man, or indeed staying with a man.

Lastly, it's not exactly news of the century. I mean, who doesn't like to be with someone that is subjectively attractive to themselves?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19...99002.html
RE: Men are happier with attractive women
Uhm...... you do know how a scientific study works, right? If you think you can disprove the study, that's fine: go through the same scientific channels we went through to disprove the anti-vax garbage. But it sounds to me that you don't like the study, not because it's wrong, but because it's conclusions disagree with your own beliefs.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 9, 2013 at 10:35 am)TaraJo Wrote: Uhm...... you do know how a scientific study works, right? If you think you can disprove the study, that's fine: go through the same scientific channels we went through to disprove the anti-vax garbage. But it sounds to me that you don't like the study, not because it's wrong, but because it's conclusions disagree with your own beliefs.

I do happen to think that the study is just an excuse to reinforce stereotypical gender norms. But I happen to think that it's incorrect too. Do you think it's incorrect?
(December 9, 2013 at 10:40 am)Kiko Wrote: I do happen to think that the study is just an excuse to reinforce stereotypical gender norms. But I happen to think that it's incorrect too. Do you think it's incorrect?

Until given credible evidence that it's incorrect, I'm going to assume it's correct. So far, such evidence has not been provided.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Welcome! Interesting first post. Stereotypes or not, I have seen both genders plce looks at or near the top of what's important.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree. I mean, I do look at females I find attractive. It is what it is. And that will be the first thing I notice about a female unless I am talking to her over the phone.

Females can be just as "shallow", if you even want to call it that. I follow the gymnastics team at my University on Facebook. They are attractive...and so are the boys they hang out with and date.

I don't think any of this is necessarily bad. It's good to have a body that works. And the better that body works, the better it will likely look (except maybe the face. What is a healthy face?). However, I do understand the plight of those who have gland (?) issues that cause their weight. That must be frustrating. As for me, I overeat. I am responsible for all of my weight. I have no reason to be proud of it or even indifferent.

It's good to look good.

So...give us an intro on the intro board (wherever that even is). Who are ya? Where are ya? How are ya?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(December 9, 2013 at 10:45 am)TaraJo Wrote: Until given credible evidence that it's incorrect, I'm going to assume it's correct. So far, such evidence has not been provided.

This has been proven . Attractiveness can be in two ways . Physically or characteristics(temperament) . Naturally people will be happier with attractive persons . This is the human nature , but there is a saying , I will hopefully translate correctly ; "You will be saturated within 40 days for one of the prettiest face , you wont be saturated within 40 years for one of the lovely temperament "

(December 9, 2013 at 11:07 am)Nineteen Wrote:
(December 9, 2013 at 10:45 am)TaraJo Wrote: Until given credible evidence that it's incorrect, I'm going to assume it's correct. So far, such evidence has not been provided.

This has been proven . Attractiveness can be in two ways . Physically or characteristics(temperament) . Naturally people will be happier with attractive persons . This is the human nature , but there is a saying , I will hopefully translate correctly ; "You will be saturated within 40 days for one of the prettiest face , you wont be saturated within 40 years for one of the lovely temperament "
That's actually a nice sentiment.

For balance I want a study done examining the relevance of penile size.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Nothing new, I would have been surprised if it was the other way around

manowar
I'm going to have to call bullshit on you Kiko. The study just doesn't reinforce your androgynous feminist ideology so you immediately dismiss it as sexist. I actually find the study interesting and (from my personal experience at least) it seems to hold true. I know plenty of hot girls who have been with below average guys, yet been completely happy with their relationships. I personally, am also very shallow, as are most guys I know.
It's not surprising. Who would you be happier being married to?

[Image: i_396_beautiful-women-022.jpg][Image: Screen-shot-2012-05-15-at-6.05.43-PM.png]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women and Assault FrustratedFool 17 1109 September 2, 2023 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Men are robbers Interaktive 11 1515 November 10, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 4700 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4629 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman. Aroura 52 4331 October 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Can You Guess Which Countries Have More "Women In Parliament" Than The USA? ReptilianPeon 7 1403 July 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Black men kneeling Foxaèr 18 2548 May 26, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Big Grin Conservatives are more attractive John V 81 8355 January 28, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  BREAKING: Saudi Arabia Allows Women to Drive WinterHold 10 1670 September 27, 2017 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What Is This All Men Are Equal Under The Law Shit? Minimalist 10 3346 May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy