Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The biblical exodus and the Biblical Jewish kingdom.
The biblical exodus and the Biblical Jewish kingdom.
Is their any evidence that these ever happened/existed?

An actual mass exodus from Egypt and then the eventual supposed kingdom. Has their ever been any large Jewish population in the biblical time period?

I say no to all if the above.
RE: The biblical exodus and the Biblical Jewish kingdom.
Nope. It's a bunch of hooey:

Quote:Despite being regarded in Judaism as the primary factual historical narrative of the origin of the religion, culture and ethnicity, Exodus is now accepted by scholars as having been compiled in the 8th–7th centuries BCE from stories dating possibly as far back as the 13th century BCE, with further polishing in the 6th–5th centuries BCE, as a theological and political manifesto to unite the Israelites in the then‐current battle for territory against Egypt.[2]
Archaeologists from the 19th century onward were actually surprised not to find any evidence whatsoever for the events of Exodus. By the 1970s, archaeologists had largely given up regarding the Bible as any use at all as a field guide.
The archaeological evidence of local Canaan, rather than Egyptian, origins of the kingdoms of Judah and Israel is "overwhelming," and leaves "no room for an Exodus from Egypt or a 40‐year pilgrimage through the Sinai wilderness."[3] The culture of the earliest Israelite settlements is Canaanite, their cult objects are of the Canaanite god El, the pottery is in the local Canaanite tradition, and the alphabet is early Canaanite. Almost the sole marker distinguishing Israelite villages from Canaanite sites is an absence of pig bones.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_Exodus
As a few theists don't like rationalwiki being cited, the sources for the info that JesusHChrist just quoted are as follows:

Israel Finklestein and Neil Asher Silberman, The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts, Free Press, 2001. ISBN 978-0-684-86912-4.

Dever, William G. (2002). What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It? Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. ISBN 0-8028-2126-X.p.99

Sturgis It Ain't Necessarily So, pg. 74
None.

And don't forget Donald Redford an Egyptologist who came to the same conclusion as Finkelstein using a different line of evidence. This shit was first cobbled together in the late 7th century BC.
There's no reason to think it ever happened if it's written in a fantasy book.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(December 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm)I and I Wrote: Is their any evidence that these ever happened/existed?

An actual mass exodus from Egypt and then the eventual supposed kingdom. Has their ever been any large Jewish population in the biblical time period?

Should it matter?
Thank you for the cites OM.

I doubt theists accept the overwhelming consensus of modern scholarship on this topic either (Finkelstein, Dever, et al), but that's their loss.

One would think this fact would be sufficient to throw a monkey wrench in the whole Abrahamic works, but like the Mormons, no amount of contrary evidence or lack of supporting evidence will change the poor deluded soul's minds.
"Faith" means never having to say "oops, I fucked up."
(December 9, 2013 at 8:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: "Faith" means never having to say "oops, I fucked up."

Faith in reality means more or less "oops, I've always fucked up".
(December 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(December 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm)I and I Wrote: Is their any evidence that these ever happened/existed?

Should it matter?

To some yes. To other, no. I doubt that I could take such evidence to my grandmother to help convince her that these stories aren't true. There was no exodus, or flood, or tower that would have reached above the clouds, or possibly a city of Nazareth, or a census that would require someone to go to their home town of Bethlehem. She's just going to keep saying that I need to stay away from these sites, and get to reading the bible so I don't go to hell.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Un-united Kingdom is fucked now Edwardo Piet 314 29996 July 4, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Why were top nazi officials Jewish? I and I 20 4658 January 2, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  Jewish crackpots get hysterical in Scotland A_Nony_Mouse 50 14535 May 14, 2013 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Gabriel Syme
  the eventual circumcision ban, and the german jewish communitie Something completely different 7 2941 September 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Whatkins
  I think the biblical minimalists are right Justtristo 0 781 October 26, 2011 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Justtristo
Smile Proposal for the Reformation of the EU Migrant Labour within the United Kingdom Cerrone 23 5648 November 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Ashendant
  Roman kingdom thread leo-rcc 10 4140 May 21, 2009 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Giff