Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncertain where to put this.....
Uncertain where to put this.....
but since it is ultimately about money controlling every aspect of our lives I chose this.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/20...for-profit

Quote:It's time for death with dignity in America.

Just ask Scott Adams.

Adams, the creator of the popular Dilbert cartoon, recently posted an open letter on his website, discussing the prolonged agony that his father was going through during his last days this planet.

Adams writes in part, "I hope my father dies soon. And while I'm at it, I might want you to die a painful death too. I'm entirely serious on both counts."

He continues, "My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get."

My mother-in-law lived for 7 weeks after voluntarily stopping her medications. 7 weeks being bedridden, blind, paralyzed, and increasingly delusional. My Golden Retriever stopped eating, the vet did a test and told us it was probably liver cancer. When she started to have trouble standing we called in a vet. She closed her eyes and was gone in a very peaceful moment.

We should treat ourselves as well as we treat our pets but the jesus freaks and their health business asshole buddies won't allow it.

Fuck all of them.
RE: Uncertain where to put this.....
(December 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: but since it is ultimately about money controlling every aspect of our lives I chose this.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/20...for-profit

Quote:It's time for death with dignity in America.

Just ask Scott Adams.

Adams, the creator of the popular Dilbert cartoon, recently posted an open letter on his website, discussing the prolonged agony that his father was going through during his last days this planet.

Adams writes in part, "I hope my father dies soon. And while I'm at it, I might want you to die a painful death too. I'm entirely serious on both counts."

He continues, "My father, age 86, is on the final approach to the long dirt nap (to use his own phrase). His mind is 98% gone, and all he has left is hours or possibly months of hideous unpleasantness in a hospital bed. I'll spare you the details, but it's as close to a living Hell as you can get."

My mother-in-law lived for 7 weeks after voluntarily stopping her medications. 7 weeks being bedridden, blind, paralyzed, and increasingly delusional. My Golden Retriever stopped eating, the vet did a test and told us it was probably liver cancer. When she started to have trouble standing we called in a vet. She closed her eyes and was gone in a very peaceful moment.

We should treat ourselves as well as we treat our pets but the jesus freaks and their health business asshole buddies won't allow it.

Fuck all of them.

I agree entirely.

THere's nothing worse than watching someone slipping away, sometimes in a lot of pain, often with no mind left, and not having an option to end their suffering.
Dying to live, living to die.
Euthanasia should be up for discussion a lot more. I am convinced that it would do humankind good.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I believe theists should be put out of their misery. Clearly, not enjoying their lives in reality by pining for the next is a miserable existence.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I fully support eustathia. How can we recognize the right to live if we don't recognize the right to die? Fuck the religious right!
Euthanasia happens all the time.

We just don't talk about it.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
We should.
I could not agree more. I watched my beloved grandfather die in such a way as would have shamed him so much if he had not become a raving senile bag of bones at the end. It had no dignity.

You're entirely right that we treat our pets better. It's terrible.

One thing that bothers me, though, is the slippery slope of inheritance. I inherited money- a lot of it- from my grandfather. How could anyone ever know for sure whether or not I wanted him to die because I loved him and hated seeing him suffer, or because I wanted his money? This is the only thing that gives me pause about euthanasia- it would be so easy to abuse it.
(December 10, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Zazzy Wrote: One thing that bothers me, though, is the slippery slope of inheritance. I inherited money- a lot of it- from my grandfather. How could anyone ever know for sure whether or not I wanted him to die because I loved him and hated seeing him suffer, or because I wanted his money? This is the only thing that gives me pause about euthanasia- it would be so easy to abuse it.

This is easily solved. Inheritance is forfeited for the comfort of the loved one. After the fact, the person can roll a ten sided die to determine what percentage of the estate is actually divided, the balance will be taken as tax.

The fact is the vast majority of people in this situation don't have this concern. Not everyone has a rich uncle. In my experience, savings are usually depleted as a result of dealing with the malady.
(December 10, 2013 at 11:23 pm)cato123 Wrote:
(December 10, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Zazzy Wrote: One thing that bothers me, though, is the slippery slope of inheritance. I inherited money- a lot of it- from my grandfather. How could anyone ever know for sure whether or not I wanted him to die because I loved him and hated seeing him suffer, or because I wanted his money? This is the only thing that gives me pause about euthanasia- it would be so easy to abuse it.

This is easily solved. Inheritance is forfeited for the comfort of the loved one. After the fact, the person can roll a ten sided die to determine what percentage of the estate is actually divided, the balance will be taken as tax.

The fact is the vast majority of people in this situation don't have this concern. Not everyone has a rich uncle. In my experience, savings are usually depleted as a result of dealing with the malady.
But shouldn't the will of the dead be honoured? If I want my money to be given to a specific someone after I die I don't want to forfeit my will just because I want euthanasia. It's not really about how much money sometimes, in many families people fight over very little money and they can be absolute assholes to the elderly because of that.

Why not just have people make decisions about their own deaths? Sign what you would like done when you're diagnosed with a disease that would probably have a painful death. That way the decision lies with you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm Sure His Buddy Putin Could Put Something Together For Him Minimalist 1 638 January 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty Aegon 43 6851 February 14, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Do you think American soldiers are put on too high of a pedestal NuclearEnergy 160 14194 January 23, 2017 at 1:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  This is What Drumpf Wants To Put A Heartbeat Minimalist 50 3228 August 7, 2016 at 11:53 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Put a end to the NSA CIA Patriot act dyresand 3 1009 April 12, 2015 at 4:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Poor, poor, billionaires....so put upon! Minimalist 10 1879 January 31, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  I could have put this in Humor but WTF Minimalist 12 1799 October 3, 2013 at 11:01 am
  I Was Going to put this in Media... Minimalist 0 736 April 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm
  I was going to put this in Humor but Minimalist 9 1771 March 20, 2013 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Uganda passing law that allows them to put homosexuals to death. Annik 85 24210 November 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More