Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bible is the claim, not the evidence
The Bible is the claim, not the evidence
I've lately seen a rash of theists here, old and new alike, that when confronted with the question, "Do you have evidence for the existence of your god?" that proceed to quote biblical scripture as the source of their conviction. This is not a strange thing, as these particular theists called Christians more often than not perceive this text to be full of accounts that were directly-inspired by divine means, or tell the tale of historical events relating to their particular religious history. Taking such a stance is, in actuality, a non-answer to the question posed above.

The Bible is a book of divine claims, telling of a god (or gods, in some interpretations) that has yet to be proven to exist. Since evidence must be demonstrated to be true before it can be taken as fact, the Bible falls short in satisfying any demands of proof, as it can in no way be proven that the men who wrote were actually under any divine influence.

I know my request to theists to stop appealing to the Bible as evidence of a god (or gods) will fall on many deaf ears, but I feel this phenomenon has gotten a little out of hand as of late and really needed to be addressed. Thank you for taking a moment to read this, especially if you are a Christian member of this forum.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
RE: The Bible is the claim, not the evidence
Of course when they have nothing else they will always fall back on the same old shit.

Particularly when it is poorly written and can be twisted to say whatever the fuck they want it to say..
(December 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Of course when they have nothing else they will always fall back on the same old shit.

Particularly when it is poorly written and can be twisted to say whatever the fuck they want it to say..

Poorly written by modern standards, sure. Even if it was considered a masterpiece when first compiled, the main issue here is the theist's claim that it is evidence of anything other than the fact that people liked to write stories about a god they thought existed.
It's poorly written because it has been edited to suit the needs of whoever was doing the editing at the time. There is only so much of that which can be absorbed by any work of literature.
(December 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's poorly written because it has been edited to suit the needs of whoever was doing the editing at the time. There is only so much of that which can be absorbed by any work of literature.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with an old Mormon friend of mine when in told him that the Book of Mormon has had numerous edits since its first edition in the early 19th century. I coulda sworn he shit a brick.
(December 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I've lately seen a rash of theists here, old and new alike, that when confronted with the question, "Do you have evidence for the existence of your god?" that proceed to quote biblical scripture as the source of their conviction. This is not a strange thing, as these particular theists called Christians more often than not perceive this text to be full of accounts that were directly-inspired by divine means, or tell the tale of historical events relating to their particular religious history. Taking such a stance is, in actuality, a non-answer to the question posed above.

The Bible is a book of divine claims, telling of a god (or gods, in some interpretations) that has yet to be proven to exist. Since evidence must be demonstrated to be true before it can be taken as fact, the Bible falls short in satisfying any demands of proof, as it can in no way be proven that the men who wrote were actually under any divine influence.

I know my request to theists to stop appealing to the Bible as evidence of a god (or gods) will fall on many deaf ears, but I feel this phenomenon has gotten a little out of hand as of late and really needed to be addressed. Thank you for taking a moment to read this, especially if you are a Christian member of this forum.

Big Grin

If the bible 'claims' that if you do A, B, C and you will find 'X' the finding of 'X' (for over 2000 years) is then proof the bible is accurate.

If one were to closly follow the A, B, C, instructions and find nothing then the bible would have been discarded long before now.
Then LOTR is proof that Gandalf exists.

I'm a prophet; my assertion that this post would fall on deaf ears has come to pass.
The very concept that the "word" of their fucking god could have been edited by men is anathema to them.

Quote:Occasionally I see a bumper sticker that reads: “God said it, I believe it, and that settles it.” My response is always, what if God didn’t say it? What if the book you take as giving you God’s words instead contains human words. What if the Bible doesn’t give a foolproof answer to the questions of the modern age-abortion, women’s rights, gay rights, religious and supremacy, western style democracy and the like? What if we have to figure out how to live and what to believe on our own, without setting up the Bible as a false idol–or an oracle that gives us a direct line of communication with the Almighty.

Bart Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus
(December 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I coulda sworn he shit a brick.

You mean he really thought that it was a word-for-word account Joseph Smith read from a magic stone out of a hat?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(December 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
(December 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I coulda sworn he shit a brick.

You mean he really thought that it was a word-for-word account Joseph Smith read from a magic stone out of a hat?

In all seriousness, the first few words in the BoM's intro tells those reading it that the book is the most correct of any book on earth (that one drives Bible thumpers nuts). When they are shown that the book has been revised a number of times (not just punctuation and grammatical corrections, mind you) their world shatters for a moment. Ad hoc excuses do follow.

I forgot to thank Drich for reading this thread though. Thank you, Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43906 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4540 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 36995 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 27574 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20087 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 5981 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 236223 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 132086 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11049 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Mary is not a virgin by the Bible accounts Fake Messiah 26 3708 September 30, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: brewer