Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, smarter than theists?
Atheists, smarter than theists?
I don't know about you, but I certainly feel as though I have an edge in a lot of situations. Perhaps not smarter, given the definition is relative.

For example; if forced to fight to the death with a true believer (whom isn't a Muslim) what reason does he have to want to win.

Also what need has a Muslim of virgins in heaven? Can they have children up there? What do Muslim women get?

I know a more scholarly interpretation is that virgins was mistranslated from white raisins or something.......... that aside though.
RE: Atheists, smarter than theists?
Judging from these threads alone....

https://atheistforums.org/thread-21336.html

https://atheistforums.org/thread-22551.html

https://atheistforums.org/thread-22450.html

...I'm forced to guess that, yes, atheists are more intelligent.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I don't have time to look for the sources atm, but if I remember correctly, atheist are on the whole more intelligent, regardless of culture, economic status and other background factors.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hubris comes before the fall.
(December 16, 2013 at 10:30 am)Kayenneh Wrote: I don't have time to look for the sources atm, but if I remember correctly, atheist are on the whole more intelligent, regardless of culture, economic status and other background factors.

Yeah, I remember Neil Degrasse Tyson pointing out that, as you climb a ladder of scientific hierarchy, as you get the best educated and the most intelligent scientists, you find that their belief in religion goes down. I think that really says something.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 16, 2013 at 10:30 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Hubris comes before the fall.

OK, we'll just sit and wait for that fall to come.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

ROFLOLROFLOLROFLOL

Wait... you weren't joking?
Silly generalisation is silly.

Firstly, how are you measuring intelligence? Are we talking iq ? Knowledge? Education? How are we measuring?

Secondly, I know some staggeringly intelligent theists... And some staggeringly intelligent atheists. Same goes for atheists. So what are we talking about, averages? End ranges?

Where abouts are we talking? Society's vary, as do the predictors of religion.

Far to complex and multifaceted a hypothesis to test. That said I do seem to recall a study which tried. I'll dig it out because you know. Data and that.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
That seems like an awfully difficult claim to quantify.

Atheists are definitely less delusional, though.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Uh-huh.
Good thing that I'm modest Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3235 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 980 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18574 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4468 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are we smarter than average? Excited Penguin 69 10934 June 23, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48513 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists Alexmahone 92 13503 June 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2192 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8559 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  "The New Atheists are back — and dumber than ever" Delicate 149 26665 December 26, 2015 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet