Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is multiculturalism a bad thing for Europe?
Is multiculturalism a bad thing for Europe?
I have recently begun to believe that multiculturalism is not something a society should strive for, it would appear to promote segregation among demographics. I can remember a time not so long past when the "name of the game" with regards to immigration was integration.

Multiculturalism seems the complete opposite, I would also posit that the idea of multiculturalism was to hide the fact that integration was impossible given the explosive level of immigration which has followed the introduction of the word. Whole enclaves of European countries have become completely separate from the state with regard to social norms, given the need for social interaction with the main proponent of this (the greatest migration in European history) those of a middle Eastern background.

How much of a blunder was it?

Dare we take a few steps further into the future that goes in toe with a multiculturalist society before we start to see a cultural relativistic ways of thinking used when approaching the different proponents that make up our society, we need not.
It is already happening, the most recent example being the allowing of the segregation of men and women in English Universities in accordance with respecting religious freedom. I even remember earlier in the year seeing Lawerence Krauss threaten to walk out of a debate in a UK University unless they stopped the segregation. It has been practiced for quite some time.

What will happen next?

If we can segregate people based on biological differences in public places is this not an apartheid?

Is every step in toe with multiculturalism a step in towards a completely apartheid state?
RE: Is multiculturalism a bad thing for Europe?
Western style democracies only work when the people share a common core of values based on liberty and equality. Not all immigrants have this understanding based on their coming from authoritarian cultures. Other than that the variety that comes from ethnic identity makes a country more vibrant.
(December 16, 2013 at 10:59 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Western style democracies only work when the people share a common core of values based on liberty and equality. Not all immigrants have this understanding based on their coming from authoritarian cultures. Other than that the variety that comes from ethnic identity makes a country more vibrant.

I agree, ethnicity seems a mute point though. However people can and do put their cultural and religious identities above that of the "core values" of the country, multiculturalism fans these flames and encourages divide.

You haven't said whether you are for multicultural societies or not ,if so, whether you disagree with any particular point. Your additions are welcome though.
Multiculturalism is a Islamic trojan horse. By respecting others' cultures we are giving them free rein to commit misogyny, racism, apartheid, homophobia, etc.

I'm not saying our culture is perfect, because it is far from it. But people can challenge our cultural norms & that is accepted & even promoted. This allows our culture to develop into a more humane & reasonable society. When one challenges immigrant cultural norms they are immediately drowned out in in a cry of "racist", "Islamophobe" & "xenophobe".
I hate to agree with Chad but he's on target. Integration works in the US - tea party shitwits notwithstanding - because the vast majority of immigrants strive to assimilate into the mainstream.

This does not seem to be the case with muslims in Europe. There, it seems as if they want to merely bring their barbaric religion to a cooler climate and expect everyone to bend over backwards for them.
(December 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I hate to agree with Chad but he's on target. Integration works in the US - tea party shitwits notwithstanding - because the vast majority of immigrants strive to assimilate into the mainstream.

This does not seem to be the case with muslims in Europe. There, it seems as if they want to merely bring their barbaric religion to a cooler climate and expect everyone to bend over backwards for them.
Chad?! CHAD............ I said it first, if in a somewhat over bloated initial post with bad Grammar. Why don't I just make this Chad's thread then?Tongue
Multiculturalism is destructive for equal individual citizenship under the law.
(December 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm)JohnCrichton72 Wrote:
(December 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I hate to agree with Chad but he's on target. Integration works in the US - tea party shitwits notwithstanding - because the vast majority of immigrants strive to assimilate into the mainstream.

Chad?! CHAD............ I said it first, if in a somewhat over bloated initial post with bad Grammar. Why don't I just make this Chad's thread then?Tongue

Calm down. Chad actual saying something sensible is so extraordinary an occassion that the amazement it generates drowns out everything else. Big Grin

Multiculturalism is not bad, so long as it accepts that certain standards needs to be in force to judge which cultural trait can be ambraced and which excluded. Having no standard for which cultural traits to tolerate is rather self-defeating.
Multiculturalism is not necessarily a bad thing. people shouldn't have to ditch all their own cultural identity when they move, its part of what they are. But when its used to create effective ghettos and bring the ways of their culture that are actually in conflict with the host nation then it gets tricky.

The Sikhs, Hindus, Jamaicans and Chinese who settled here seemed to fit in and still have their own identity.

Some Muslims however don't play well with others.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Re: Is multiculturalism a bad thing for Europe?
I live in one of the most multicultural areas of London and I love it. The only group who seem to segregate themselves are the Jews, but I suspect that is a class thing because this is a mostly working class area and the few local Jews are all at least middle class and probably don't want to mix with us working class people . Lol

I love that there are so many different types of people round here. You can walk down the street and hear 20+ different languages being spoken. We have an annual festival celebrating the mix of cultures, with food, dance and music and stuff. I have been to towns that aren't multicultural and they're so fucking boring and all the people are the bloody same. I could never live like that!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 887 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 576 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Russia is Europe. Kyiv and Moscow should be in the European Union Interaktive 53 4461 December 14, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Bellwether, is that really a thing? Brian37 8 416 November 3, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Eastern Europe is richer than Russia. Victory Interaktive 4 341 January 14, 2021 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Aren't Judaism and Aryanism the same thing? Sweden83 63 2383 December 4, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is preserving languages a good thing? FlatAssembler 21 2448 November 4, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Is corruption mostly a good thing? FlatAssembler 26 1874 December 16, 2019 at 9:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Trump did a good thing by humiliating Saudi Arabia WinterHold 24 3934 July 1, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Bad Apple Yonadav 7 982 March 4, 2019 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: fredd bear