Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Jesus really God?
Is Jesus really God?
1.. The Bible says "No man can see My (God's) face and live" (Exodus 33:20).
2.. People saw Jesus' face and lived to tell about it.
3.. Therefore, Jesus is not God.

Anyone care to tackle this without falling back on that old chestnut that Jesus wasn't showing the full glory of God. After all, isn't God pure and indivisible? Either Jesus is God or he isn't.

Is this another contradiction because surely Abraham saw God's face and went on to live for another 75 years.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Is Jesus really God?
Moses wanted physical proof of God, just like you. God said: uh uh... look for where I've been.

Jesus was 100% bloke & 100% God. You saw the bloke but still no one believed without proof that this was God.

So same logic applies.
But was he wine and water or oil and water?

Anyway, doesn't it come down to this. Either Jesus and God are the same or they're not and either you can look on the face of God or you can't?
They are not the same. Jesus is God and bloke. You can't look at the face of God. You could look at the face of Jesus.

Wine water oil??
So how could you look at the face of Jesus without looking at the face of God if he is both.

The wine, water, oil thing is the difference between eastern christianity and western. Eastern look at the Jesus/God mix as wine and water where the two are completely mixed whereas the western view is that of water and oil where they both exist in the same vessel but are very distinct and don't mix.

Which one are you?
Because God doesn't have a face, not being human.

Jesus was God & human.. the human bit you could see, the God bit you could only 'see' as in understand.

Mixed/ not mixed... blimey I dunno.
The Bible says "No man can see My (God's) face and live" (Exodus 33:20).

If God doesn't have a face then why say 'you can't see it and live'? That implies he does have a face otherwise why mention the live bit?

I suspect that you are not mixed as you are western you are probably either Anglican, Roman Catholic, Eucharistic etc. This was the whole point of the Nicene Creed wasn't it?
A transcendent face or not a human face.

I'm non-liturgical LOL. It looks like 'not mixed' was added to a later version. I'm with the west split it seems. Reading up on it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00...istianity/

and..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00...e_of_Rome/

Should sort you out Smile
Well, God did say no one can look at his face and live so he says "I'll show you my 'hindparts' instead."

Maybe Jesus is the ass of God?

Either that or God likes to moon folks. That really is one of my favorite bible snippets, Exodus 33:23-30 or somewhere around there;

And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put theein a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts

No, you can't see my face, but check out my ass.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?" Was Jesus Really Sinless? Rhondazvous 46 6939 May 14, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7218 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  jesus wasn't really a man backslider 34 5509 October 1, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Does Baby Jesus really cry each time we rub one out? Why sweat the small stuff, god? Whateverist 33 8550 August 4, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Is Jesus really worthy? BlackMason 12 2140 July 27, 2014 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12404 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  If these resident theists really talk to god.. Brakeman 283 82540 October 1, 2013 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Drich
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6690 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  God vs. Women Who really sucks more? LarissaAnn 19 8978 December 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Diamond
  Did Jesus Even Really Exist? Erinome 122 37501 December 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused