Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Abraham Lincoln was Christian
If Abraham Lincoln was Christian
...than why did his family/staff place coins over his eyes when he was killed?

I don't think it had anything to do with his presidency. I believe it was in ancient Greece that coins were first put on the eyes of the deceased so that their soul could pay the ferryman for passage across the River Styx. My confusion is this: If Abraham Lincoln was a Christian, why would it be the custom of the day to place coins over his eyes - a very "pagan" ritual correct?

How common was this coin custom among Christians of that time period?
In truth, I was hoping Minimalist might have some insight on this. It strikes me as odd that a professed Christian president would have such a ritual performed on his corpse (not that he had a choice). I'm not terribly fluent in Civil War era christianity in the United States.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWgQ6DklrcPdxkUIhTxzB...c8BiFdANKW]
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: If Abraham Lincoln was Christian
Why do christians still use pagan customs in their holy days? They just do. not that trees, bunnies, or eggs have anything to do with Jesus' supposed birth and resurrection. If Lincoln's family put coins in his eyes, it's just because they wanted to.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm)Chad32 Wrote: If Lincoln's family put coins in his eyes, it's just because they wanted to.

No shit Captain Obvious. I'm pretty sure that answer can be used for every question on earth. Tongue

I'm looking for some historical background into the religious thinking of the times. This is NOT a christian tradition, nor is it merely a whimsical holiday tradition such as chocolate eggs at easter. This is the belief in a man's soul. It's not taken lightly by any religious person - especially if that person was a Christian and believes that he goes to see Jesus when his number's up.

I'm pretty sure it started with Greek traditions of burying someone with money for the ferryman that takes you across or along the river Styx to the afterlife.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

I cannot find any historical suggestions that he was buried with coins over his eyes, which leads me to believe that it is just a myth.

In fact, the only thing his wife persisted on in relation to his burial was the location.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote: It strikes me as odd that a professed Christian president would have such a ritual performed on his corpse

That would probably be news to Lincoln.

Quote:My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge J S Wakefield

Quote:The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote:There was the strangest combination of church influence against me. Baker is a Campbellite; and therefore, as I suppose with few exceptions, got all of that Church. My wife had some relations in the Presbyterian churches, and some in the Episcopal churches; and therefore, wherever it would tell, I was set down as either one or the other, while it was everywhere contended that no Christian ought to vote for me because I belonged to no Church, and was suspected of being a Deist and had talked of fighting a duel.
-- Abraham Lincoln, letter to Martin M Morris (March 26, 1843)

The custom of placing a coin is Greek but IIRC it was a single coin in the mouth..not one on each eye.

Xtians stole so much they could easily have stolen this idea.
(December 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I'm pretty sure it started with Greek traditions of burying someone with money for the ferryman that takes you across or along the river Styx to the afterlife.

That's nearly word for word what I wrote in my OP. I wasn't asking what the coins meant. That, I already knew.

(December 17, 2013 at 9:42 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I cannot find any historical suggestions that he was buried with coins over his eyes, which leads me to believe that it is just a myth.

In fact, the only thing his wife persisted on in relation to his burial was the location.

I wish I could locate the source, but I definitely recall that the coins being placed over Lincoln's eyes was documented as historical fact. Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to locate the source for even my own verification. [Image: facepalm.gif] I'll keep looking.

(December 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: It strikes me as odd that a professed Christian president would have such a ritual performed on his corpse

That would probably be news to Lincoln.

Quote:My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge J S Wakefield

Quote:The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote:There was the strangest combination of church influence against me. Baker is a Campbellite; and therefore, as I suppose with few exceptions, got all of that Church. My wife had some relations in the Presbyterian churches, and some in the Episcopal churches; and therefore, wherever it would tell, I was set down as either one or the other, while it was everywhere contended that no Christian ought to vote for me because I belonged to no Church, and was suspected of being a Deist and had talked of fighting a duel.
-- Abraham Lincoln, letter to Martin M Morris (March 26, 1843)

The custom of placing a coin is Greek but IIRC it was a single coin in the mouth..not one on each eye.

Xtians stole so much they could easily have stolen this idea.

Thank you Minimalist. Always good to have your historical insight. (...and to know that Lincoln's accomplishments can't be attributed to Sky Daddy and the Godboy.)

One further thing Min -
Are you at all aware of how common this practice (coins on eyes) might have been in 19th century America?

I thought you were asking where the idea of the coins came from. Sorry I'm just not helpful here.

Placing coins on the eyes of a corpse was a method of keeping the eyes closed during viewing - it looks better than stitches (eyes currently are glued shut).

Several sources indicate that this has been a widespread practice among Christians in Europe since at least the 15th century, and the similarity with the Greek tradition of paying the ferryman seems to be a coincidence.

I wasn't able to find any indication about how common the coins-on-the-eyes thingy was in 19th century US, but Mark Twain in describing his brother's funeral (killed in a steamboat explosion) mentioned that silver dollars were placed on the eyes.

Hope this helps.

Boru

addendum: found this cool Lincoln quote:

'The Bible says somewhere that we are desperately selfish. I think we would have discovered that fact without the Bible.'
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Again, the Greco-Roman version of the practice was to place a single coin in the mouth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lincoln Project/Vote Vets ad, featuring Sully..... Brian37 18 1281 September 30, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Sal
  Lincoln Chafee Gives It Up Minimalist 1 524 October 23, 2015 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0