Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Calendar for Atheism
A New Calendar for Atheism
Greetings. One major problem with Atheistic attempts to influence society is the deck is stacked against them. One important cultural artifact is the Gregorian Christian calendar. Just changing AD to CE and BC to BCE is not enough. The centrality of the conversion of Rome to Abrahamic religions needs to be challenged as the primal temporal event that underlies our calendar system.

After researching this, I now say the year is 12,013 since it is simple to remember and teach... its an idea proposed by scientist Cesare Emiliani. Otherwise we would need to restart the calendar based on some other common global event of this century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Emiliani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar
RE: A New Calendar for Atheism
Meh. That's really just a minor issue we can work out once we rid the world of religion's dominance.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Actually it is 2018 because the fucking xtians can't even get that right.
Ignore my last.
The problem with changing the current year in which we live is that we have to change every date we've ever assigned the past so to avoid confusion and repeated mistakes. This doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but I think it could get very tricky very quickly.

In truth, there's no date that would ever satisfy the entire world. Even scientists would debate with scientists over what the actual date should be. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

(December 19, 2013 at 2:01 am)Cinjin Wrote: The problem with changing the current year in which we live is that we have to change every date we've ever assigned the past so to avoid confusion and repeated mistakes. This doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but I think it could get very tricky very quickly.

In truth, there's no date that would ever satisfy the entire world. Even scientists would debate with scientists over what the actual date should be. Undecided

Agreed it would disrupt computer programs and history books -- so it wouldn't be easy or practical to do without some big reason or an easy conversion method.

But a calendar system longer than 8000 years should be common enough for most of humanity no? And actually the whole world uses the Christian calendar so you can get them to agree actually based on the dominant superpowers ( European Colonialism and now US ). I think adding 10000 to our current year is a simple way to illustrate that biblical prophets are not central to humanity. Atheism has to take symbolism seriously and I think one of the most powerful symbols for the position of Christian Abrahamic faiths versus science is control of the calendar and the year. If your kids grew up thinking about 10000 years of human civilization rather than 2000, don't you think their horizons would be bigger and the idea of a bunch of middle eastern prophets would be much more irrelevant and seem small.
I say we go with "year of the monkey" and be done with it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Seriously, does anyone give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut what we number the year, as long as people agree on it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What a major pain in the dick that change would be. However there are people that will " if there was no Jesus then what happened 2013 years ago
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(December 19, 2013 at 1:10 am)theyear12013 Wrote: Greetings. One major problem with Atheistic attempts to influence society is the deck is stacked against them. One important cultural artifact is the Gregorian Christian calendar. Just changing AD to CE and BC to BCE is not enough. The centrality of the conversion of Rome to Abrahamic religions needs to be challenged as the primal temporal event that underlies our calendar system.

After researching this, I now say the year is 12,013 since it is simple to remember and teach... its an idea proposed by scientist Cesare Emiliani. Otherwise we would need to restart the calendar based on some other common global event of this century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Emiliani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar

Wew. We're a Muslim country and we're using the gregorian calendar without being so anal-retentive about it, I simply cannot comprehend why you think that this is really relevant.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?