Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could have a science lesson...
If you could have a science lesson...
If you could have a science lesson as a one to one tutorial with any scientist, in any field, alive or dead (insert "I'd have one of the live ones" joke here) who would you pick? And why?

Einstein? Hawking? Oppenheim? Tesla? Darwin?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: If you could have a science lesson...

I probably wouldn't pick a physical scientist. If I had to pick, it would likely be a mathematician or a logician. If I have to narrow the field, I'd choose either Saul Kripke or Kurt Godel. I'd learn more from Kripke than anyone else, but the learning isn't the sole attraction. Other possibilities: Alfred Tarski, Gottlob Frege, W.V.O. Quine, Daniel Dennett, David Hume, Sigmund Freud, Emile Durkheim, Hans-Georg Gadamer, Michel Foucault, Georg Cantor, David Hilbert, Alfred Turing, Heraclitus, Democritus, Diogenes, Pythagoras, Sappho, Hypatia, Zoroaster, Confucius, Lao Tzu or Chuang Tse. There are a lot of historical thinkers who I'd love an intense one-to-one experience with. If I did it for the physical sciences, it'd be in cosmology or astrophysics; probably Roger Penrose or David Bohm. Both are brilliant, and both have beliefs that I'm fundamentally at odds with, and both could teach me about the nature of the universe as a whole. (I disagree with Penrose's philosophy of mind, and Bohm's attachment to hidden variable theory.)

(ETA: Oh, and I'd give my eye-teeth just to have lunch with Emmy Noether.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'd have to go for Brian Cox. He is one of the few physicists I feel I can understand. IMHO he is the best at dumbing this shit down for someone like me.

Second choice would be Lawrence Krauss but I can follow him only so for before he says something like "and that means....." whilst is invariably a link that I don't get.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Archimedes. For sheer breadth of knowledge, I don't think he has an equal in all of human history. Given that he considered himself primarily a mathematician, he practical achievements are nothing short of astonishing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Brian Cox or Neil De Grasse Tyson.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I would go for a class with Dick Feynman Big Grin
I've been in a lecture given by Brian Cox at a science festival and he's very engaging.

He's also very good at putting the dross some people bring up ("But how can you discount creation?!") in it's place quickly and firmly. Always good when a creationist gets put in their place and the audience applaud, as happened the last time I went to the Cheltenham science festival.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Brian Cox is the most adorable fucking physicist I have ever seen. I'd like to see him lecture, but I'd prefer to see Neil deGrasse Tyson since he's such a badass.

And for dead people, probably Tesla. I'd love to see a lecture of his just bashing Edison - I bet it'd be the wittiest, most hilarious shit ever.
Re: RE: Gay marriage
Brian Cox! When I went to Geneva and visited CERN I was really hoping I'd get the opportunity to molest him. I'm still disappointed. :(
pfff, Feynman, of course!
Then off to a drums jam!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 993 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Stupidiest Anti Science Statement I Have Encountered Amarok 28 6413 May 21, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience Won2blv 21 6428 March 26, 2017 at 8:08 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
Star Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life MountainsWinAgain 3 1256 June 1, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Could you climb Mt Everest every day? Brian37 3 1110 March 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7633 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  what science comes easy to you if any? justin 46 9064 April 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Science might have found why some people are gay. Gooders1002 9 3657 December 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  What You Need to Remember About Science thesummerqueen 0 873 November 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4240 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe