Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mexico makes it 17 down, 33 to go.
New Mexico makes it 17 down, 33 to go.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/us/new....html?_r=0

Quote:“Procreation,” wrote Justice Edward L. Chavez, author of the opinion, “has never been a condition of marriage under New Mexico law, as evidenced by the fact that the aged, the infertile and those who choose not to have children are not precluded from marrying.”

There's no stopping the fabulanche.
RE: New Mexico makes it 17 down, 33 to go.
Oregon better be #18. That's all I have to say.

Unless they do what they did last time and make the bill fucking confusing to voters: a No vote means yes to marriage equality, a Yes vote means no to marriage equality. I read that thing like fifteen times before I filled the oval in and I'm still not sure i filled in the right oval.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I'm very happy now. Fuck traditional marriage & Michelle Bachmann!
(December 19, 2013 at 9:53 pm)MarxRaptor Wrote: I'm very happy now. Fuck traditional marriage & Michelle Bachmann!

Iwouldn't go so far as to dismiss traditional marriage outright(or scrog Bachmann!), but yeah...good news fer sher.

Michelle is a handsome woman. It's a shame she's fucking nuts.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
New Mexico... Albuquerque... Breaking Bad finale... :whyistherenosmileytoexpressthefeels:
(December 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm)Ryantology Wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/us/new....html?_r=0

Quote:“Procreation,” wrote Justice Edward L. Chavez, author of the opinion, “has never been a condition of marriage under New Mexico law, as evidenced by the fact that the aged, the infertile and those who choose not to have children are not precluded from marrying.”

There's no stopping the fabulanche.

Avalanches fall DOWN slopes.

Strange that procreation got a special mention/exclusion.
The judge probably doesn't care if the offspring are fertile either.

Explain to me again why I need the consent of my pet goat when the goat has no constitutional rights under New Mexico law?
Thinking
Because you can't fuck a red herring?

Had you bothered to read the article, you would have seen the crux of the anti-gay marriage proponents "... argument that prohibiting same-sex marriage was necessary to protect the government’s “overriding interest of responsible procreation and childrearing.”"
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I think I've figured out why religionists in general are so set against same-sex marriage. It isn't a homosexual issue or a procreation issue or a gay-couples-raising-children or a tradition issue or any of the other thousand and one 'reasons' they frequently trot out. I'm honestly beginning to suspect it's a happiness issue.

I believe (but cannot prove) that religious adherence in a society is inversely proportional to the level of general happiness in that society. In other words, the more miserable that people are, the more likely they are to turn to religion for solace and comfort (real or imagined). Denying legal equality to people on the basis of sexual orientation can't help but make the victims unhappy. I think religionists - consciously or not - feel that their membership stands a better chance of stabilizing if they can make more people unhappy.

Then again, I could be wrong. These people might just simply be terrified of one penis touching another. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 20, 2013 at 3:30 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Because you can't fuck a red herring?

Had you bothered to read the article, you would have seen the crux of the anti-gay marriage proponents "... argument that prohibiting same-sex marriage was necessary to protect the government’s “overriding interest of responsible procreation and childrearing.”"

I saw the Op this morning .au time and read the article later in the morning at work.
The judge and the bench have erred in declaring so blatantly that "marriage" has nothing to do with the critical mass of opposite gender, Darwinian mate selection and the mother/father/offspring model we call "the nuclear family".

What the judicial activists, (unlike the voters,) have failed to realise is that by breaking down the nexus between heterosexual mating/procreation and marriage, they have eroded any bulwarks that they might have been able to use to defend against marriage in the form of - consanguineous relationships, marriages of legal convenience, bisexual polygamy, single humans who claim the 'right' to be married to non-humans...etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 483 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1634 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4538 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 814 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  The further dumbing down of the POTUS Joods 6 893 September 20, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1612 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Oh, Poor Mike Pence. His Favorite Hobby Horse Shot Down Minimalist 8 1693 April 21, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The country is going down the shitter with Trump in office, but it's okay NuclearEnergy 7 1138 December 4, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Almost Makes Me Pine for Reagan's Astrologer Minimalist 6 902 November 28, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mueller Makes The First Move Minimalist 31 4303 October 30, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37