Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just Don't Know Who To Root For.....
I Just Don't Know Who To Root For.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25458755

Quote:A fault-line runs from Lebanon on the Mediterranean, down through Syria and Iraq, to Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and beyond.

It divides Shia and Sunni Muslims, the two sides of Islam. It is the oldest division in the Middle East, but just like the schism in Christianity between Protestants and Catholics, it is as much about power and identity as religion.

Leaders have tried to use sectarianism as a tool to protect and strengthen their own legitimacy, just as European governments still sometimes use nationalism.

But the forces that are being unleashed in the Middle East are at best a blunt instrument, at worst beyond anyone's control.

What did that fine xtian the Abbot of Citeaux, Arnaud Amalric once say?
Quote:"Kill them all, God will know His own"

Go for it, allah.
RE: I Just Don't Know Who To Root For.....
(December 20, 2013 at 2:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25458755

Quote:A fault-line runs from Lebanon on the Mediterranean, down through Syria and Iraq, to Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and beyond.

It divides Shia and Sunni Muslims, the two sides of Islam. It is the oldest division in the Middle East, but just like the schism in Christianity between Protestants and Catholics, it is as much about power and identity as religion.

Leaders have tried to use sectarianism as a tool to protect and strengthen their own legitimacy, just as European governments still sometimes use nationalism.

But the forces that are being unleashed in the Middle East are at best a blunt instrument, at worst beyond anyone's control.

What did that fine xtian the Abbot of Citeaux, Arnaud Amalric once say?
Quote:"Kill them all, God will know His own"

Go for it, allah.

I'll take "Mutually Assured Destruction" for $600, Alex.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
RE: I Just Don't Know Who To Root For.....
Yeah, if they'd just have a jihad against each other, last guy standing is declared winner and his religion the true sect of Islam. Sounds like a plan. Let's get started building those suicide bomb vests, guys.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.