Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mother the Psychic
My Mother the Psychic
My Mother is a 'Psychic'. She does 'spiritual healing' and indulges in 'mediumship'. I have grown up around this and never saw any point challenging it since a) It is no worse than any established religion and b) My mother made income off the gullible which put food on the table.

It really is quite lucrative and I asked my mother to teach me the technique and I was disappointed to find that she really does believe in it but I think she must be doing some unconscious cold reading.
RE: My Mother the Psychic
Making money off of the gullible is what sleazy televangelists do.

I don't find stooping to their level admirable.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(December 21, 2013 at 9:55 am)Faith No More Wrote: Making money off of the gullible is what sleazy televangelists do.

Especially those that contact the dead. What the hell, how can people even try to con grieving people?
(December 21, 2013 at 9:55 am)Faith No More Wrote: Making money off of the gullible is what sleazy televangelists do.

All religions live off the gullible. What is the difference between what my mother does and what any other person who is paid by a religion does?

(December 21, 2013 at 10:06 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:

Especially those that contact the dead. What the hell, how can people even try to con grieving people?

You fail to actually read my post. My mother actually believes. She is not trying to con anyone.
People like that, who exploit people who are grieving the loss of a loved one, are scum. I wish a slow, terrifying, painful death on them all.

They all know they're frauds. They are perfectly capable of lying to their own families; they lie for a living ffs.
(December 21, 2013 at 10:49 am)là bạn điên Wrote: All religions live off the gullible. What is the difference between what my mother does and what any other person who is paid by a religion does?

Not much. Though to say that you provide 'healing', when it should be received from a professional, is truly despicable.

Quote:You fail to actually read my post. My mother actually believes. She is not trying to con anyone.

Ignorance on her part is no excuse.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 21, 2013 at 10:49 am)là bạn điên Wrote:
(December 21, 2013 at 10:06 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Especially those that contact the dead. What the hell, how can people even try to con grieving people?

You fail to actually read my post. My mother actually believes. She is not trying to con anyone.

The result is the same, no? Really, everyone is responsible for their own actions, earning a living off grieving people because she really believes doesn't give them their money back.
(December 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: People like that, who exploit people who are grieving the loss of a loved one, are scum. I wish a slow, terrifying, painful death on them all.

They all know they're frauds. They are perfectly capable of lying to their own families; they lie for a living ffs.

How disgusting you are. You want my mother, silly as she is, to have a slow and painfull death because she thinks she is helping someone? You really are a most unpleasant person.

(December 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(December 21, 2013 at 10:49 am)là bạn điên Wrote: All religions live off the gullible. What is the difference between what my mother does and what any other person who is paid by a religion does?

Not much. Though to say that you provide 'healing', when it should be received from a professional, is truly despicable.

Quote:You fail to actually read my post. My mother actually believes. She is not trying to con anyone.

Why is ignorance no excuse? Because you say so? She really beleives and like any other cleric does what she thinks is right. She is almost 80 and not going to be changing here mind any time soon.

However far easier to pick on a geriatric woman than take on some Muslim cleric isn't it

(December 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:

Why is ignorance no excuse? Because you say so? She really beleives and like any other cleric does what she thinks is right. She is almost 80 and not going to be changing here mind any time soon.

However far easier to pick on a geriatric woman than take on some Muslim cleric isn't it

(December 21, 2013 at 1:06 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(December 21, 2013 at 10:49 am)là bạn điên Wrote: You fail to actually read my post. My mother actually believes. She is not trying to con anyone.

The result is the same, no? Really, everyone is responsible for their own actions, earning a living off grieving people because she really believes doesn't give them their money back.

If everyone is responsible for their own actions then people who apply to see mediums are also responsible for their own actions....
(December 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm)là bạn điên Wrote: Why is ignorance no excuse? Because you say so? She really beleives and like any other cleric does what she thinks is right. She is almost 80 and not going to be changing here mind any time soon.

No, not because I say so, but because several studies and years of medical research proves her wrong. Belief has nothing to do with it and your mother is a quack.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm)là bạn điên Wrote:
(December 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: People like that, who exploit people who are grieving the loss of a loved one, are scum. I wish a slow, terrifying, painful death on them all.

How disgusting you are. You want my mother, silly as she is, to have a slow and painfull death because she thinks she is helping someone? You really are a most unpleasant person.
She doesn't think she's helping anyone. She's a pathological liar who is out to exploit vulnerable people for financial gain. If you believe she she doesn't know exactly what she's doing, then you're as gullible as any of the people she's ripped off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US man sues psychic who 'promised to remove ex-girlfriend curse' zebo-the-fat 24 2700 October 6, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  AF members' psychic predictions for 2016 Alex K 96 17707 September 3, 2016 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Psychic mediums jcvamp 25 4304 December 13, 2015 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Animal Psychic Conveys Cecil the Lion's Message to Humanity Salacious B. Crumb 49 15206 September 24, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  "Psychic" dies downbeatplumb 7 2880 August 29, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Psychic and the wife sarcasticgeographer 26 5165 August 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Psychic past EGross 10 3972 March 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Psychic prediction of mass graves turns out false Doubting Thomas 35 9858 July 12, 2011 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Psychic Powers Rayaan 15 8057 December 14, 2010 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris