Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apartment Hunting
Apartment Hunting
So my girl and I have been apartment hunting for about the last couple of months because we want to make sure to be ahead of things. The lease we have doesn't expire until 02/28/14 so we definitely have some time. Well, recently a co-worker of ours had mentioned that her boyfriend has a place that he is looking to rent out for pretty cheap.

This place was a 2 Bedroom 2.5 Bath for $650 a month all tile! We were pretty excited about the price and stopped by to have a look... holy crap this place was gorgeous! In any case, we paid for the credit check and told him to get back to us ASAP. We cleared the credit check and he said all we need is the deposit of $300. I said to him "Sure, we just need a contract of some sort written out to represent the deposit."

Now, I expected him to say "Sure, I'll get right on that!" but instead he says "Sorry, I will not setup a lease for you until I get the $300." This seems a bit unusual... who gives a deposit on an apartment without a lease / contract for signing?? The co-worker said "Yeah it's no problem, I'll write up something for you and hand it back to you at work"

So here I am, waiting on this contract to be written up and of course he turns around and gives the apartment to someone else.

To you people I ask, who the frig gives a deposit to anyone without an agreement / lease / contract of some sort??
RE: Apartment Hunting
(December 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm)wolf39us Wrote: So my girl and I have been apartment hunting for about the last couple of months because we want to make sure to be ahead of things. The lease we have doesn't expire until 02/28/14 so we definitely have some time. Well, recently a co-worker of ours had mentioned that her boyfriend has a place that he is looking to rent out for pretty cheap.

This place was a 2 Bedroom 2.5 Bath for $650 a month all tile! We were pretty excited about the price and stopped by to have a look... holy crap this place was gorgeous! In any case, we paid for the credit check and told him to get back to us ASAP. We cleared the credit check and he said all we need is the deposit of $300. I said to him "Sure, we just need a contract of some sort written out to represent the deposit."

Now, I expected him to say "Sure, I'll get right on that!" but instead he says "Sorry, I will not setup a lease for you until I get the $300." This seems a bit unusual... who gives a deposit on an apartment without a lease / contract for signing?? The co-worker said "Yeah it's no problem, I'll write up something for you and hand it back to you at work"

So here I am, waiting on this contract to be written up and of course he turns around and gives the apartment to someone else.

To you people I ask, who the frig gives a deposit to anyone without an agreement / lease / contract of some sort??

An idiot
You have a paper trail since you paid via cheque. Take the fucker too court
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(December 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: You have a paper trail since you paid via cheque. Take the fucker too court

I'm a professional landlord and I agree. You have a trail, take them to court.
I didn't pay him, that's the point. I told him I WOULD pay him if he wrote up a lease / agreement

The only thing I paid for was the credit check... which he will return to us.

I didn't want to give him the $300 without an agreement... And he said he wouldn't write up an agreement until after I paid him.
Wait...you did not give him the moolah, right?

If so, fuck him. He didn't want to play good landlord this early in the game. That's all you need to know he did you a favor. Imagine the headaches later on you were just saved from.

If money was forwarded, uh, get it back, and more importantly, learn from this! Sometimes a gut reaction is a perfect reason to squelch a business transaction.
Quote:I didn't want to give him the $300 without an agreement... And he said he wouldn't write up an agreement until after I paid him.

That's VERY odd. He likely would have been a lousy landlord.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Agreed, very weird. What you were working on there was a legal contract. There are three elements of a legal contract: Offer, acceptance, consideration. Offer is him offering you the apartment. Your acceptance is when you sign the contract which outlines his offer. Consideration is the last thing, which is your money in exchange for access to the apartment. He's an asshole if he doesn't understand this, and you are well out of it. Good luck with future hunting!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gunshot outside my apartment mlmooney89 35 2038 March 7, 2018 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Apartment hunting rant Jackalope 58 6629 September 6, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Awesome and beautiful apartment abandoned for 70s discovered almost untouched Ryantology 10 3502 February 3, 2014 at 2:51 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Apartment Hunting wolf39us 10 1616 January 14, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: wolf39us
  Fox Hunting Darwinian 41 9565 June 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet