Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apostasy Death?
Apostasy Death?
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/25/world/meas...index.html

Quote:A judge in Saudi Arabia has recommended that imprisoned blogger Raif Badawi go before a high court on a charge of apostasy, which would carry the death penalty upon conviction, according to Badawi's wife.
Ensaf Haidar initially told CNN on Wednesday that her husband had been sentenced to death. She later clarified to CNN that a judge has recommended he be tried for denouncing Islam, or apostasy. Apostasy carries the death penalty in Saudi Arabia, according to Amnesty International.
In July, a Jeddah criminal court found Badawi, who has been in prison since June 2012, guilty of insulting Islam through his Free Saudi Liberals website and in television comments.
Badawi was sentenced to seven years in prison and 600 lashes. His lawyer appealed the decision.
Badawi's legal troubles started shortly after he started the Free Saudi Liberals website in 2008. He was detained for one day and questioned about the site. Some clerics even branded him an unbeliever and apostate.
Human rights groups accuse Saudi authorities of targeting activists through the courts and travel bans. Amnesty International has said Badawi's "is clear case of intimidation against him and others who seek to engage in open debates about the issues that Saudi Arabians face in their daily lives."
CNN could not reach Saudi Arabian government officials for comment.
Badawi's wife and the couple's three children now live in Lebanon.
Rights group: Saudi activists calling for change face harassment, jail

Why should he face the death penalty for his own views? Please explain!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
RE: Apostasy Death?
The strongest opinion is that there should be no punishment for apostasy.

The death penalty should not be applied towards one's individual choice of religion because (1) it contradicts with the Quran, and any hadith or law which contradicts the Quran should be discarded, because the Quran is the ultimate source of Sharia, (2) there is no report that the Prophet ever ordered a death penalty on someone just for leaving Islam, and (3) the majority of scholars agree that the death penalty for apostasy should be applied only if there are treasonous acts involved, especially when the apostates turn against Muslims and then try to cause serious harm or damage to them.

"Islamic scholars say the original rulings on apostasy were similar to those for treasonous acts in legal systems worldwide and do not apply to an individual's choice of religion. Islam advocates both freedom of religion and freedom of conscience, a position supported by verses in the Quran, Islam's revealed text, such as: 'Let there be no compulsion in religion' (Surah 2:256)." - Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

100+ Notable Islamic Voices on Apostasy; Preserving the Freedom for Faith; Affirmation of Freedom of Expression and Belief in the Quran

So, to my knowledge, Islam does not sanction the killing of apostates as many people think it does.
(December 26, 2013 at 6:58 am)Rayaan Wrote: The strongest opinion is that there should be no punishment for apostasy.

The death penalty should not be applied towards one's individual choice of religion because (1) it contradicts with the Quran, and any hadith or law which contradicts the Quran should be discarded, because the Quran is the ultimate source of Sharia, (2) there is no report that the Prophet ever ordered a death penalty on someone just for leaving Islam, and (3) the majority of scholars agree that the death penalty for apostasy should be applied only if there are treasonous acts involved, especially when the apostates turn against Muslims and then try to cause serious harm or damage to them.

"Islamic scholars say the original rulings on apostasy were similar to those for treasonous acts in legal systems worldwide and do not apply to an individual's choice of religion. Islam advocates both freedom of religion and freedom of conscience, a position supported by verses in the Quran, Islam's revealed text, such as: 'Let there be no compulsion in religion' (Surah 2:256)." - Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

100+ Notable Islamic Voices on Apostasy; Preserving the Freedom for Faith; Affirmation of Freedom of Expression and Belief in the Quran

So, to my knowledge, Islam does not sanction the killing of apostates as many people think it does.

Why are you afraid of to say there is no punishment for apostasy ? the verb you need to use is not "should" , its "must" .

These inaccuracies will continue to be as long as muslims are afraid of their old traditions , like you .

Nineteen, I am not "afraid" of the old traditions; I just think that is the strongest opinion, and I explained why, and I provided some sources and a quote to support that opinion.

If you disagree with that view, then feel free to present arguments and/or sources to support your own view.
Majority want death for apostasy. Why? Why enforce your beliefs on others?

Nineteen is just barbaric and feels anyone not following her beliefs is an enemy. Why treat people with different world views like enemies of the state?
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
The argument is clear. In USA we are used to the separation of the state and the church so whatever we may say about the church, the church has no authority over us. But in Saudi Arabia there is no separation...the state IS the church so betraying your faith is like betraying your state. It's a treason charge to propagate against Islam after rejecting Islam as a Muslim.

In my opinion the dude sentenced to death is just an attention troll. Why the fuck would anyone propagate against Islam in a state like that? If I was in Saudi Arabia I would hug the Qur'an and pray with others 5 times a day because that's what everyone does. The idiot got what he deserved what can I say...in my mother tongue we have an expression that says "he's so dumb he dies". That's what happened here.

(December 26, 2013 at 7:07 am)Nineteen Wrote: Why are you afraid of to say there is no punishment for apostasy ? The verb you need to use is not "should" , it's "must" .

These inaccuracies will continue to be as long as Muslims are afraid of their old traditions , like you .
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]
Modern human beings should be afraid of barbaric and murderous traditions like those. Muslims need to decide if they want to join the modern world or continue to be a bunch of backward camel fuckers.

Most, it seems, prefer camels.
Most dont fuck camels. It is usually a donkey, goat, or sheep.
I'm thinking of the "upper" classes!
(December 26, 2013 at 8:24 am)Dragonetti Wrote: Majority want death for apostasy. Why? Why enforce your beliefs on others?

Nineteen is just barbaric and feels anyone not following her beliefs is an enemy. Why treat people with different world views like enemies of the state?

It's just a way for the religion to propagate. If you say you do not want death for apostates, you get suspected of being an apostate, in fact, if you live in a country where that is an offence that can get you killed, you won't speak up against the majority, and that is a big win in itself. Religion is very useful for the government in countries where religion is indistinguishable from politics, you can sway politics just by evoking religious beliefs. In places like that it's much better to keep your people believing instead of giving them free speech which will inevitably lead to dissent. Plus when apostasy is decided based on the state's criteria, it really could be anything, a different interpretation would probably get you into trouble. It is a useful way to weed out potential dissenters.

This is Iran's blasphemy law I got from the wiki:
Quote:An Islamic theocracy, Iran derives its law against blasphemy from Sharia. The law against blasphemy complements laws against criticizing the Islamic regime, insulting Islam, and publishing materials that deviate from Islamic standards.

So you see, it is a political tool. I've always said that in muslim countries it's almost useless to try to separate the religion from the politics, they are so intertwined because the politics inform religious beliefs, and religious beliefs inform political beliefs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims zebo-the-fat 19 4030 October 14, 2020 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Mauritania clerics want 'apostasy' blogger executed zebo-the-fat 3 987 November 15, 2016 at 4:14 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Apostasy in Islam NickB 5 3173 July 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: NickB