Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's a CONSPIRACY!!
It's a CONSPIRACY!!
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured here would do...

Okay, so all of my roommates, and my boyfriend, believe in all these government conspiracy theories, saying how the government is out to get all of America. There's gonna be concentration camps called "Fema Camps" (not sure if I'm spelling that right), they put flouride in the water and mercury in our vaccines to dumb down the population to control us, they have "big brother" watching us all the time...and on and on and on.

My boyfriend goes a step further and says that the people with the most power are actually aliens called "reptillians". Banging Head On Desk

Oh geez....

So, what the hell do I say to these people? I've already had the conversation with my boyfriend about how evolution isn't "just a theory" (common misconception, damnit!!! Scientific theory = fact that has been proven over and over and over again, but is still open to be "proven wrong"). It's frustrating, because I know it's bullshit, but I don't have any counter arguments.

Halp?
RE: It's a CONSPIRACY!!
The truth is out there my friend.
Live long and prosper!
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Well, you can always tell them they are nuts Rolleyes

Believe me, even if you were arguing at the highest level, most of these conspiracy nuts wouldn't start to think. Its funny that some might argue the government is dumbing them down, when in fact it is them dumbing themselves down with an extreme lack of education and critical thinking skills.

ETA: I'll move this thread to the skepticism & pseudoscience subforum, Its more on topic Smile
I recommend you de-friend them asap!

Fluoride in the tap water depends which county and state. It helps prevents cavities.

Mercury was used as preservative for vaccines, but has long since been used. They have found other products.

Reptillians do not exist. Now, are your friends molesting reptiles?
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(December 26, 2013 at 9:50 am)LalalaTabby Wrote: (common misconception, damnit!!! Scientific theory = fact that has been proven over and over and over again, but is still open to be "proven wrong")
I think a scientific theory is more of an explanation of the facts based on study and experimentation, not the facts themselves. The theory can be modified or, in extreme cases, changed completely as we learn more. But the facts remain facts.

As for conspiracy nuts, I know a couple. The ones I know tend to be a bit more self-aware, but it doesn't stop them from making people uncomfortable from time to time (one of them made our realtor a bit nervous when he started in on how the "chem trails" in the sky were part of a government plan to... I don't even remember what he thought they were doing, but it was bizarre). I admit it's kind of funny to see the look on people's faces when they realize they've stepped into the twilight zone.

Personally, I tend to humor them as long as I think they're safe to be around. Most conspiracy nuts seem to be happy enough just talking, and as long as they stick to that they're okay. When they start stocking up on ammo and rifles and cans of dog food, then it's time to worry.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Damn, these people make truthers & birthers look good.

Also, haven't you heard; evolution is a conspiracy! The gubmint made it up so they could... undermine god or something.
Quote:Okay, so all of my roommates, and my boyfriend, believe in all these government conspiracy theories, saying how the government is out to get all of America.

To quote Bill Maher: "The government isn't up to it.....the government can't deliver the mail."
LOL, you know I've actually met people who believe in reptile people and it was such a bizarre experience. I'm sorry but I think all of them are too far gone. Tell them there are more fluoride in toothpaste than water. Perhaps they should stop brushing teeth and see if anyone of them becomes smart enough to figure out how to save mankind.

On a more serious note, it's a waste of time to argue with conspiracy theorists. They have so much confirmation bias everything that doesn't agree with their theories are conspiracies. How can you possibly convince someone who thinks lizard people are real but a human president is a conspiracy?
Try this:

"Until you can provide evidence for your wild baseless assertions, I will continue to consider you a fucking idiot and appropriately minimize my exposure to your lunacy."
(December 26, 2013 at 9:50 am)LalalaTabby Wrote: So, what the hell do I say to these people?

I would tell you, except that I hear a black helicopter coming and must don my tinfoil hat first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daily conspiracy Fake Messiah 1922 94335 35 minutes ago
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Difference between religion & conspiracy theory? Fake Messiah 2 1050 February 7, 2021 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The BMI Conspiracy Foxaèr 42 13215 May 5, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Trying to make conspiracy theories Fake Messiah 20 2730 November 11, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hairspray Conspiracy Fake Messiah 5 2388 May 12, 2016 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Conspiracy theories against the Jews. CapnAwesome 20 8132 September 22, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: geckomamasita
  The greatest conspiracy theory ever Laza 47 11344 September 14, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Conspiracy theories? ignoramus 41 11033 June 24, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  conspiracy theories DramaQueen 24 6059 September 7, 2014 at 12:21 am
Last Post: DangerousElf
  The dumbest conspiracy theory yet CapnAwesome 17 7414 April 28, 2013 at 6:33 am
Last Post: bladevalant546