Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books to stay away from
Books to stay away from
We all know by now to stay away from the Twilight series. But are there any other books or book series that need to come with warning labels?

Another series we've all figured out to stay away from by now is the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series

The author has some very scary views on sex religion and relationships.
RE: Books to stay away from
To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

WARNING: By the time you read this for the fourth time, you will still have no idea what's going on, who these people are, or why you should give a fuck about them.

Left Behind (and all its sequels) by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.

WARNING: Read this only as a guide about what not to do as a writer. If you seriously believe something like the events of this book will be happening soon, please seek mental help.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Discworld

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(December 28, 2013 at 11:31 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: Discworld

NOW ya tell me! I kill you later. Tongue

Seriously addictive is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett......
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Fifty shades of grey. It sucks. There's no character development, no storyline, reused and clumsy dialogue, boring sex scenes with barely a hint of BDSM and it's grotesquely written.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 29, 2013 at 2:30 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Fifty shades of grey. It sucks. There's no character development, no storyline, reused and clumsy dialogue, boring sex scenes with barely a hint of BDSM and it's written grotesquely.

Dude, I've read an erotic novel that's far worse. It's called Naruto Veangance Revelaitons. Let me explain all the ways it's horrible, and, be forewarned, this is horrifying, almost like the author was attempting to One-up both the Marquis de Sade and the director of A Serbian Film. Consider this an across-the-board trigger warning.

It used to be on Fanfiction.net, but it got deleted, and I've uploaded it to Filedropper. I'd post the link here, but, quite frankly, the content is so extreme that I fear for my good standing on this site if I post it. Maybe it'll be alright if you PM me. Of course, if you really want some independent evidence, there's a girl named GubGub434 who's uploaded her reading of every chapter to Youtube. I myself have put every chapter with my annotations on Deviantart. Just log in, turn off the parental lock and look for Rickersnary.

I just have to ask though, Rev, does the guy get any money for his crap? Is his novel printed? Is it called (by some dimwits) to be sassy, fresh and a good read? No? That is why FSoG pisses me off so much. Yes, you can find whatever obscure fanfic, if you only dig deep enough (rule 34, dude!), but that this steaming pile of horsehockey was even considered by a publisher is just beyond me. I regret that I ever read the "series". (I put it in quotation marks, since the three books don't have enough content between them to make even one decent book).
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Chick Tracts? They're more comics than books, but unless you're reading it to get a laugh out of it, I'd say avoid it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: I just have to ask though, Rev, does the guy get any money for his crap? Is his novel printed? Is it called (by some dimwits) to be sassy, fresh and a good read? No? That is why FSoG pisses me off so much. Yes, you can find whatever obscure fanfic, if you only dig deep enough (rule 34, dude!), but that this steaming pile of horsehockey was even considered by a publisher is just beyond me. I regret that I ever read the "series". (I put it in quotation marks, since the three books don't have enough content between them to make even one decent book).

It's not printed. I know that some may quibble at my use of the word "novel" to descibe the book, but, I really do think it fits: the OED defines the novel as: "a fictitious prose narrative of book length" It's fictitious, it's prose (even the song lyrics), there's some semblance of narrative, and, like I said, it's almost as long as the first Harry Potter book, so, by the standards of the Oxford English Dictionary, it is, technically, a novel.

Fifty Shades Of Grey. It's so so so bad. I genuinely feel sorry for all the women who found it exciting, they must have such boring partners. Sad

It's badly written, boring shit. Seriously.

The only good thing about it is the creation of pages like this that make life better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2731 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Most Awful Books Ever The Architect Of Fate 18 1411 June 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 982 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  It's 11:59 & I want 2 stay alive Brian37 10 617 February 18, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Books Icy 55 4358 November 27, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  ♫Should I stay or should I go...♫ (Not a music thread.) Gawdzilla Sama 7 892 August 17, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  20 books considered the worst Foxaèr 29 4511 July 21, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Let's Talk About Books Shell B 65 7626 January 22, 2018 at 1:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 756 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  David Bowie's 100 Favourite books: How many have you read? Rev. Rye 27 2560 October 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4